THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Holland and Holland Shooting School
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holland and Holland Shooting School
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All,

I will be making my first trip ever to the UK this year, and am wondering if a visit to H&H's shooting grounds for a couple of hours of lessons would be worth the while...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the experience, yes. Just don't miss after you tell the folks back home.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure a "couple of hours" will do it. Orvis has shooting schools at a variety of locations in the US. Why not try them? You will be shooting with a SxS?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done the two day Orvis school at Sandanona in NY, and it helped a lot. I was just thinking that going to H&H's shooting grounds would be better than going to their store and drooling over guns I cannot afford...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are the best of the London Schools by far. The West London is a waste of time. Holland's will fit you for both a s/b/s and an o/u.

Just remember to ask for Holland's dimensions and "standard" dimensions as they are different. Holland's fit with a scooped out face. Like a banana.

Also try and get there an hour or so before the time as it gives you time to relax from driving and the muscles in your arms and back to go back to normal shape.

There will also be guns at Northwood. LOL! But I have always had my fittings there...even though I shoot my father's Henry Clarke or my own Boss...and they know their task better than West London ever did!

Northwood Station is a short taxi ride away if not using a car.

Just remember to ask for standard dimensions as well as Holland's. I had my Webley stocked in the Holland's style. It is very comfortable BUT! The but is that it can never be re-cast for a later family member and the gun will not fit a new user if the stock is shortened or lengthened.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
enfieldspares, my wife and I are just looking at some lessons and shooting, not a fitting per se. I guess a fitting would come with lessons? I thought I had read that they have Berettas with many different stock sizes for customers to use...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have a fitting as it will serve you well and, then, have a lesson with the try gun that is now set to you. Best of both! They'll write stock measurements down for you to keep.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do it! Smiler

I did and it was a great, memorable 1 1/2 hour afternoon.

Whatever level of shotun shooting you aspire to or actually ARE; you can never learn enough.

H&H Shooting Grounds is the place have that experience.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Good advice. I have dealt with H&H since the late eighties and their school is excellent; ask for Chris Bird if you can get him. Avoid West London.

quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
They are the best of the London Schools by far. The West London is a waste of time. Holland's will fit you for both a s/b/s and an o/u.

Just remember to ask for Holland's dimensions and "standard" dimensions as they are different. Holland's fit with a scooped out face. Like a banana.

Also try and get there an hour or so before the time as it gives you time to relax from driving and the muscles in your arms and back to go back to normal shape.

There will also be guns at Northwood. LOL! But I have always had my fittings there...even though I shoot my father's Henry Clarke or my own Boss...and they know their task better than West London ever did!

Northwood Station is a short taxi ride away if not using a car.

Just remember to ask for standard dimensions as well as Holland's. I had my Webley stocked in the Holland's style. It is very comfortable BUT! The but is that it can never be re-cast for a later family member and the gun will not fit a new user if the stock is shortened or lengthened.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
enfield, how about posting or linking to a photo of your gun stock? I am curious as to what it looks like!!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't show much though. Sorry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are right! Now what LOP does H&H use? Clearly a gun that is shot mounted (as in American skeet or Trap) can use a longer LOP than a gun that is shot "low gun" or unmounted.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holland's will use an adjustable gun where all three variables...length of pull, drop (aka bend) or cast can and will be adjusted to fit that individual shooter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I must confess that I would like to try to get fitted with a try gun. I don't hunt anymore but I like to shoot international skeet with regular speed targets. Have to try and locate someone around Jacksonville Fl. I did go to a skeet/sporting clays pro. shouldered the gun pointed it at him and he said it looked OK, so, I am assuming that, for a shouldered gun, I am close to a standard stock dimensions. Is that a fair assumption?
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is confirmed, my wife and I will have a two hour lesson at the Holland and Holland Shooting Grounds on 5 October...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will enjoy it.

Just a tip...arrive at least ONE FULL HOUR before so that your muscles can relax. Nothing worse than a gun fitting when your shoulders are all hunched up from driving.

Let them know what you mainly want to use the gun for and what you want fitting for a side by side or an over and under. They can fit for both but a fitting for one won't be the same as a fitting for the other.

Also if you can give them an idea of what you usually wear to shoot in so that they can lend a coat, vest, jacket of similar thickness.

And...finally...get your eyes tested before you go if you wear glasses and you think that your prescription may have changed. Other than that enjoy it. Those guys know their stuff!

one of us
posted Hide Post
We will not be driving, but taking the train to Northwood and getting a cab from there. Since it is a midday Friday, I hope it will not be a zoo on the train out...

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

And did you go and get the T shirt ?

What was it like ?

Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2260 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We did go, and it was a lot of fun. I shot a Beretta 12g, my wife a Browning 20g. Lots of options in the guns as far as stock length. 21 gram target loads for both, so no kick whatsoever. Fantastic grounds. There is a rifle range as well, and an indoor range where one may shoot simulated targets with up to, and including, a 500 nitro double. I got to handle said 500 nitro double, very heavy, but all of the weight was between your two hands. Unreal wood. There were guns for sale on site, but all were far beyond my price range. There was a 400 H&H bolt gun in the for sale rack, which I would have liked to handle, but I did not. The staff asked where we were from, and since we were there via a very circuitous route, we came away with complimentary H&H baseball hats...Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, you and your wife are ready for the Tokyo Olympics?
Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyreb:
We did go, and it was a lot of fun. I shot a Beretta 12g, my wife a Browning 20g. Lots of options in the guns as far as stock length. 21 gram target loads for both, so no kick whatsoever. Fantastic grounds. There is a rifle range as well, and an indoor range where one may shoot simulated targets with up to, and including, a 500 nitro double. I got to handle said 500 nitro double, very heavy, but all of the weight was between your two hands. Unreal wood. There were guns for sale on site, but all were far beyond my price range. There was a 400 H&H bolt gun in the for sale rack, which I would have liked to handle, but I did not. The staff asked where we were from, and since we were there via a very circuitous route, we came away with complimentary H&H baseball hats...Wink

Did it make you a better shot? I would be really interested in hiring a coach to help me shoot better with a shotgun. If anyone knows of one in the Phoenix area, drop me a note.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late to the party...

I know a very good coach at the Tucson Trap and Skeet Club, Jon Ogilvie. If you want his contact number, PM me.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote