Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun Fitting in San Antonio
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

I purchased a Winchester Model 101 Pigeon Grade (Mikuru manufacture) five or six years ago and I have always felt that the length of pull was too long for me. I went on a quail and chucker hunt last week and became convinced that the stock is too long for me. Stock fitting is becoming something of a lost art. Anyone know of someone who does this in the San Antonio, Texas area?

Thanks in advance!!!

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris batha would be my recomendation, he is usually in texas in the winter at some point, next time he is here I am going to see him, if you are interested we can ride together, I believe he goes to midland. I am in austin

o far, Chris is planning to go back to Midland, Texas in December but I don't
have the dates as yet.

I am in CA right this minute, but as soon as I can I will send you his
schedule so far just in case you may be coming East - there are a couple of
Shooting Events that you would enjoy this Spring - just as a lure - and he
could do you gunfit then -

In the meantime, I will see if he has Texas plans before December and get back
to you.

Thank you for getting in touch -
Sara Gump for Chris Batha

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stock fitting is important, but LOP is one of the easiest adjustments to make. If you're convinced your stock is too long, take off the recoil pad and see how it feels shooting a round of skeet.

The rule of thumb, no pun intended, is that when mounted in a normal fashion, the back of your thumb should be between 1 and 2 inches from your cheek. Personally for heavier loads, I think one inch is cutting it pretty close. I prefer 1 1/2 inches but many like it longer. For me, on a 101, that translates into about a 13 3/4 inch LOP. Obviously your requirements will likely be different.

BTW, I love your choice of shotguns. My 101 PG is my go to gun for almost any wingshooting.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
30 Caliber Mag Fan:

You live by the NSSA shooting complex. I would think they could point you in the right direction for a gun fitting.

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote