Find
Notify
Tools

LH shooting RH sxs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted
Is there any real issue to a LH shooting a RH sxs w/dbl trigger? My options are to go this route or wait a few years until I can afford a made for me LH gun.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can train yourself to do anything with enough practice.
im left handed and have been shooting two barrel shotguns for close to 50 years. other than being careful to the stock fit, right hand cast in the stock makes it tough for a lefty, you will be able to manage.

Posts: 975 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I may suggest it, the issue is not which hand, but rather which eye? You may be left handed, but you could train yourself to shoot right handed fairly easily. A friend of mine is a bullseye pistol shooter. He had rotator cuff surgery, with complications which meant he could not use it for over a year. He practiced left handed for that time.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None as long as you can get the stock cast for the correct shoulder. The triggers may, possibly, be able simply to be changed. What probably can't just be a swap job is changing the top lever.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am right handed but left eye dominate, was caught a very early age and shoot long guns, shotguns and rifles left handed. As mentioned a good stock man can change the cast on a shotgun. On all of my doubles I have the triggers bent neutral a very easy job for a competent Gunsmith..
Good Luck let us know what you do

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get fitted by a competent shotgun fitter with a try gun. Then have the stock bent for cast on, drop and LOP to fit your dimensions. If the stock has a cheek piece on the wrong side, simply have it removed. Get triggers bent or replaced as been stated. The only difference between a full lefty is the direction of the action release, no big deal.
SXS and single shots are the easiest to modify for a lefty.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent an Ithaca Crass to Steve Bertram for cleaning and he switched the triggers to LH configuration when he did the cleaning. It sounded like a pretty simple job.

After shooting SxS's in both left and right hand configurations, I don't see a big difference in ease by having the triggers set up for a lefty. I guess having started out on two trigger right handed SxS's, I got used to reaching over a little for that front trigger.

Before you do anything, shoot several patterns from both barrels on a splatter board or pattern paper at 16 yards. That will give you a good idea where the center of the pattern is in relationship to your point of aim.

I have a Thomas Bland 12 bore, 2.5 inch that's cast for a right hander and doesn't come anywhere close to shooting where I look. It hits 12 inches to the right and 9 inches high at 16 yards on the splatter board. I have thought several times about having it bent and the triggers changed to left handed but will probably sell it. I have several others others that are not cast so severely.

Steve Bertram or Mike Orlen can bend a stock. I'm sure there are others who can also do the work.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote