New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel shotguns
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've become interested in perhaps buying a Merkel SxS (or at least as interested as my pocketbook will allow me to be). I know nothing of the various model designations: 47, 47E, 147, 147L, 201, 280, etc. Perhaps someone here could give me a brief rundown on how these models may differ in construction, features, or cosmetics.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might look at a Sauer on a Merkel action. They are just as nice and about 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
You might look at a Sauer on a Merkel action. They are just as nice and about 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

I thought it was Simson that was made by Merkel and that the Sauer was completely different?

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen both. As for what the models are. 47 is just a plain SXS double with extractors. The E is for ejectors, SL is side lock, SLE side lock ejector. I think the 201 and 280 are O/U guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Simson guns are nice I have one on Merkel action and I have a Sauer. Plain Sauer guns are really nice too.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I came very close to buying a 20 ga Merkel side by side. It had been on display forever at a Sportsman's Warehouse in Utah. It had a number of handling marks on it and they wouldn't discuss discounting it a single penny at the time. I believe it was $4200 for the side by side 20 ga. It sure was a sweet handling shotgun!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I came very close to buying a 20 ga Merkel side by side. It had been on display forever at a Sportsman's Warehouse in Utah. It had a number of handling marks on it and they wouldn't discuss discounting it a single penny at the time. I believe it was $4200 for the side by side 20 ga. It sure was a sweet handling shotgun!

I think ALL of those Merkels had handling marks... I used to work at SW in Idaho, and our Merkel was fondled like mad... Matter of fact, the store manager took it to Utah to do a shoot with Karl Malone (remember the ads with him?). he brought it back, told the guys to make it look new and put it back in the case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 147E in 16 ga. Don’t shoot it a lot, but I do like it and shoot it well.
Not planning to sell. Believe I paid $4500 for it.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote