New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on CSMC shotguns
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been looking at a Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Company (CSMC) RBL model in a small gauge. Beautiful wood and nice metal. But I know nothing of how they actually hold up as shooters. Would appreciate comments from any owners or past owners.

Posts: 13207 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my son an RBL 28 ga. when he graduated from College.
Really nice little gun. That was 11-12 yrs ago.
He has enjoyed it. I ordered his with english walnut and 28" barrel.
I have a CSMC FOX DE special 16 ga. and it is an exceptional gun.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Never shot one. For the price I’d just get a vintage model 21. I wouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth either.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned a 20 gauge CSMC Launch for about eight years. Beautiful gun. I suppose I’ve shot 4-500 rounds through it. It’s been flawless.
I heard that some of the earlier CSMC shotguns had some serious issues. Mine is not an earlier model.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I also have a launch edition 20 gauge RBL. It is beautiful and has functioned flawlessly since day 1. I would not hesitate to buy another RBL.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only problem with them are the cast actions. I do not mind a cast action, but a cast action should not cost more than a Merkel which is made from billet.

They appear to hold there value.

Posts: 10555 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. Now the question is how do I pry $XXXX out of some deep crevice to pay for it.

Posts: 13207 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The early production A H Fox guns by CSMCo use investment castings for their frames, trigger plates, top levers forend irons, ect.
That was in the early 90's.

They switched over to CNC machined frames and parts in the late 90's for all their guns (AH Fox, Win 21, ect). and stopped using investment cast parts all together.

IIRC the high grade O/U's were never investment cast even at the beginning in the early 90's.
The RBL's have always been a CNC machined recv'r and parts from a steel billet.

Most are made from 8620 steel and H/T after mfg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2152: Thank you for the knowledge.

Posts: 10555 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The RBLs seem reliable, but a bit heavy for me... but, then, I like lightweight shotguns.

I was impressed years ago when Tony was introducing his A H Fox guns at the beinfeld show in Las vegas. I asked him if I should abandon the graded 1915 Fox 16 gauge gun project I has going and save time by buying his new Fox 16. He said to complete the project. I liked his honesty, so I did.

I think Galazan has broken new ground by trying to make and market higher quality shotguns in the North American market.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A while back I became interested in the CSMC A10 Rose & Scroll O/U sub-gauge guns.They are stunningly beautiful guns. Gave some serious thought to buying one. During the course of my research I was able to shoot two and was highly impressed. But I also received considerable feedback that this specific gun was not known for its durability. The consistent story was related to problems with extraction and ejection.

Over time I moved on. Then, on one of my annual trips to Argentina two guys showed up at the estancia with CSMC A10's. Both were 2 barrel sets in 28 & 20ga. Both guns eventually broke down after less than 3000 rounds each. Broken extractors in the 28ga barrel set. Purely coincidental, I'm sure, but interesting indeed.

Nevertheless, you can't beat the CSMC product for fit, finish and balance. Beautiful guns, to be sure. As for the RBL series, I've seen several on the range and in the field. I've never heard any negative issues.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An A-10 bares a remarkable resemblance to a Beretta S05 which is a very highly regarded sidelock O/U.
I believe it is more than coincidence.

EZ

I have herd there is
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
A while back I became interested in the CSMC A10 Rose & Scroll O/U sub-gauge guns.They are stunningly beautiful guns. Gave some serious thought to buying one. During the course of my research I was able to shoot two and was highly impressed. But I also received considerable feedback that this specific gun was not known for its durability. The consistent story was related to problems with extraction and ejection.

Over time I moved on. Then, on one of my annual trips to Argentina two guys showed up at the estancia with CSMC A10's. Both were 2 barrel sets in 28 & 20ga. Both guns eventually broke down after less than 3000 rounds each. Broken extractors in the 28ga barrel set. Purely coincidental, I'm sure, but interesting indeed.

Nevertheless, you can't beat the CSMC product for fit, finish and balance. Beautiful guns, to be sure. As for the RBL series, I've seen several on the range and in the field. I've never heard any negative issues.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the price I’d just get a vintage model 21

Doubt you would ever find a vintage 21 in decent condition for RBL prices - certainly not in the small bore (410, 28) arena. I've certainly looked!

I have had a launch edition 28 RBL since the year they came out. It's been a great little gun that I've used a lot for clays, plus it's my go to gun for dove and quail. It has their top of line wood and Tony added the castoff I requested even though that wasn't an option at the time. Wish I had also gotten their 410 when it came out...

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just saw this thread. I have a CSMC RBL Launch Edition in 20 ga. I love the gun. Comes in fitted case, choke tubes etc. It is beautiful to look at, own, and others seem to appreciate it's looks as well. Oh, it shoots as well! 25 straight at American Skeet! Not bad for a SxS in my hands!
Don't know what they go for, but I am sure you can find one used.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Emory:
quote:
For the price I’d just get a vintage model 21

Doubt you would ever find a vintage 21 in decent condition for RBL prices - certainly not in the small bore (410, 28) arena. I've certainly looked!

I have had a launch edition 28 RBL since the year they came out. It's been a great little gun that I've used a lot for clays, plus it's my go to gun for dove and quail. It has their top of line wood and Tony added the castoff I requested even though that wasn't an option at the time. Wish I had also gotten their 410 when it came out...

I was thinking the same thing! Love to buy a Model 21 for what I payed for my Launch Edition RBL.

I've shot a lot of skeet with my English grip RBL (20). Beautiful little gun. If I could get a good deal, I'd buy another, except with pistol grip, 12 gauge, and the slim beavertail forend.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote