Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BPS Pump
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted
I'm thinking of getting one. Any comments, reviews, anyone own one, etc.?

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 12 with a 26 inch barrel. Bought around 1984. Well use and never had a problem. Cleaned with brake fuild and oiled with Mobil one. I shoot left handed and like the tang safety and the bottom ejection.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 10ga. For sale
PM if interested

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a BPS Upland Special 20 ga that I used for many years. I gave it to my nephew several years ago. They are my favorite pump, great guns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
First I shoot left handed.

Have had a LOT of Rem 870's, and Win M12's over the years in many gauges.

Bought my first BPS in 1995, it is a 10ga, have used it a lot.

Finally got tired of all the different safety positions on the rems and wins, have sold them off and have been picking up more BPS's the past few years.

Now have the old 10ga, a 12ga stalker, and a youth 20ga for the wife and son.

Am still looking for a 28ga to round things out.

Great gun, handles and shoots well, strong and easy to tear down and clean.

J Wisner

Posts: 1421 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a right handed shooter. They seem a little clumsy to reload compared to my S&W 3000s made by Howa. Other than that I like them a lot.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Had a 20ga a few years back. Didn't do too well with reloads. Very tight chambers. Other than that a great gun.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Picking up an Upland in 16 gauge this week.

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill, I am a real fan of the 16 gauge. I believe the BPS 16 is made on a smaller, accurate to the gauge frame. Let us know how you like it.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
Absolutely recommend them for any right or left handed shooter. I own two 12 ga BPS in wood and blue, one straight and one in a pistol grip. A 20ga and a 16ga.

They are my absolute favorite all around shotgun for everything from ducks and geese to cotton tails. Look a little bit and you will find the 3 inch gun in walnut and blue with a nice perimeter engraving and gold trigger. Quite a looker.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great guns. I have 12's, a 10 and a 20. Only downside is the 20 is hard to take down and clean because it is so small.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thumbs up. I have a 10 and am very happy with it.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot one; did not like it. IMHO it did not balance well and the LOP was too long for me. I also did not like the loading/unloading procedure. I will stick to my Remington 870's. To each his own..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own one in 12 gauge with a short barrel which I keep close at hand for "yard varmints" (I live in the country.) It's a quality piece, but for whatever reason the receiver is exceedingly long, making the entire gun a bit muzzle heavy (although since mine has only a 22" barrel that is not so much a problem.) I'm not quite sure why Browning designed the BPS with such a long receiver, but a buyer would be well-advised to couple it with a shorter barrel to keep the overall length more manageable.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did not Browning use the design of Ithaca?

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Actually the Ithaca Model 37 pump is a John Browning patent and design. Big Grin Browning patented it in 1915.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning offers a Trap version and shoots OK, but feeding from the bottom always seemed awkward to me. Gun is well built it seems but for a pump gun, I much prefer the Rem. 870 and favorite is the Win. Model 12, the classic Trap pump gun. Shot one for a couple years and went back to the Model 12 for a pump gun in Trap.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote