Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun fitting in NC
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 35whelenman
posted
I'm looking to get a recommendation for a gun shop that can help me get fitted to a nice SxS. I live in southeast portion of the state so anywhere between Wilmington and Raleigh would be good.

It's more important to me to determine what dimensions I need a gun to meet than to actually be able to purchase a gun. So a good gunsmith who could do the fitting would be just as good.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some years back Orvis had a nice deal on a O/U Beretta .They measured you [I needed that } and made a stock for you for the Beretta.I don't know if they still do it .
I don't know about you area but you should contact some of the better shooting ranges that have good shotgun programs. .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Call Jim Kelly in Darlington, SC at Darlington Gun Works. He is a master with SxS's but ain't cheap. 843.393.6291

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deep River Sporting Clays in Sanford NC does fitting. If you like SXS you should go to the Southern SXS match coming up in a couple of weeks at Deep River. They have a wonderful gunshow there.

Posts: 2828 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you just want dimensions, then someone with a 'try gun" and who knows his stuff can help you. Modifying and bending an existing gun takes someone with unique and different skills.
just my 2 cents,
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just found this which might be of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A87h4eETwZU

Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 35whelenman
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the replies. I'll be looking into getting down to Deep River, it sounds like a good time.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 35whelenman:
I'm looking to get a recommendation for a gun shop that can help me get fitted to a nice SxS. I live in southeast portion of the state so anywhere between Wilmington and Raleigh would be good.

It's more important to me to determine what dimensions I need a gun to meet than to actually be able to purchase a gun. So a good gunsmith who could do the fitting would be just as good.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Go to Amazon and buy a Shotgun bore sight.

Carry it with you when you try various shotguns and find one that fits you. I look at an object
about 20 yards away and if bore sight is where you are looking it is close. I fit my Benelli Monte with its shims and made quite a difference.

http://www.amazon.com/AIM-Spor...ighter/dp/B002OP6U3A

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Chris Batha.

He is known world wide and I am fairly certain that he worked with the Olympic team from the UK.

He fitted my guns a few years back. Made a big difference.

Posts: 11908 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry, Chris Batha has a bunch of videos on YouTube! One of which is about shotgun fit! He recommends mounting the gun while looking in a mirror. Makes sense!
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He did my guns in a single day. I forget exactly which ones he did. I do know the 2 I take to Argentina, my hit percentages went up.

He also gave me one little pointer from his observations that stopped my face from getting beat up on high volume dove shoots.

Definitely worth the money. He is in the Carolinas. I can't remember if it is north or south.

Posts: 11908 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote