THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Ruger's Side-by-Side Double 12 gauge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger's Side-by-Side Double 12 gauge
 Login/Join

<Paladin>
posted
Did anyone notice? Ruger has just announced a new side-by-side double 12ga., quite nice if the picture can be believed --and the price is a modest $1,995.00 ...a mere pittance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope it's better quality than the Ruger O/U shotgun. The O/U is, by reputation anyway (I don't have one and have never shot one), of highly inconsistent quality. You almost never see the Ruger O/U, for example, on the skeet range in the hands of people who shoot a lot of skeet.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I am thinking of buying a side by side and the Ruger interests me. But it would have to be in 16 ga or 20 and with shorter barrels.

That may be by the 12th of never. A 12 is just too big for upland.

<ringneck>
posted
I like a 12 gauge for upland hunting especially when pheasants are included. With the 12 gauge you have a wide range of light loads to mimic the 16 and 20 gauge if needed. Ruger's gun is supposed to weigh 6 1/4 pounds which is less than many 20 gauges. I'm anxious to see one. I would also love to have one in 16 gauge. But a 6 1/4 pound 12 will be sweet. Just don't stuff it with nitro mags.

Shawn

<Red Green>
posted
I'm with Ringneck. I use a 16 on pheasants for the first part of the season, but after that, I switch to a 12, and on many occasions am glad I have it. Chukar, grouse, snipe, quail and Huns are a different story.

I have owned three Ruger Red Labels and have found them to be excellent shotguns. I have heard horror stories but have not experienced anything negative myself. Then again, you can read horror stories on any gun you care to look into. Hearsay abounds on the net.

I am very interested in the new Gold Label, but I'm skeptical vis-a-vis the gun's weight, particularly noting the weight of the 12 gauge Red Label and the fact that it's supposed to have three inch chambers. A London best it ain't, but with a street price that should (I hope) hover around $1400 or (better yet) lower, it may actually do quite well. I know I plan to check them out when they hit the shelves.

[This message has been edited by Red Green (edited 01-30-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Paladin,
A friend from another BBS posted the following as part of his report on the Las Vegas Gunshow.

"Ruger and their new SxS. Pretty little gun. Weight about 6.75 lbs in 12 ga. Jury is still out for me on this one as this was their prototype and it really wiggled around when the action was open. Barrels could be struck better. Action flats had lightening cuts all the way through to the cocking rods. Stock dimensions seemed none too bad. "

If they had the prototype at the Las Vegas Show, my guess is that production is still a ways off.

Chuck Graber

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Slick>
posted
LE270,

I think that you ought to check out the real reason that skeet shooters don't use the Ruger O/U. It doesn't have anything to do with quality. The Ruger will move to the second barrel on doubles regardless. I'm not a skeet shooter but if I think if there is a misfire on the first barrel, then you can't shoot the second, on most guns, meaning you get them over. With the Ruger you get the second shot. There was something in Shotgun Sports or some other magazine about this a couple of months back. I think that's why you don't see them used. I doubt that it has anything to do with inconsistent quality. My Ruger O/U has worked flawlessly. I'm not familiar with skeet rules so I'm not sure what imapct it has. If the first shot doesn't go and the second does, what happens ?

------------------
Adapt, Improvise, Overcome.

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Slick,
Many if not most Skeet O/U guns have mechanical triggers as opposed to inertial. I am afraid that LE270 is about right about the Rugers rep. on the skeet field. (He may have been a little less than charitable) The Ruger is known for being a decent field gun but for long term reliability in the face of tens of thousands of targets, the brand names that are most respected are Kreighoff, Perazzi, Kolar, Beretta, and Browning. These are the O/Us that are seen most at tournaments. The Kreighoff, Perazzi, and Kolar all have mechanical triggers like the Ruger. Of course they cost many times the price of the Ruger.

The Rugers do not have the quality feel in the trigger (crisp and light) that many skeeters are looking for. They have also suffered with some QA problems from time to time that have been taken care of by their excellent service department. However, with the amounts of money in Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays tournaments that is on the line, you don't want to have to send the gun off to the manufacturer if it malfunctions half way through the weekend.

Bill Ruger was one of the original supporters of Sporting Clays when it started in the US. He put up a number of Red Label shotguns as prizes in the early years. I think that it is a bit of a shame the shooters have migrated away from the Rugers in the last decade or so, but Beretta, Browning, Kreighoff and a few others have simply given tournament shooters better tools for clay target shooting.

Ruger has taken a bum rap for its' easy opening feature simply because it feels to many older and experienced shooters like a gun that is worn out and loose.

By the way, I am an avid Sporting Clays and Skeet shooter. I do not compete in tournaments but very often shoot practice with tournament shooters.

Chuck Graber

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ruger O/U in 20 ga. when they first came out. I really liked that gun, I wish I did not have to sell it. Used it for hunting only.
I prefer O/U over the side by side but I think I will get one of these Ruger sidebysides. I got four young daughters.....

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Slick>
posted
Chuck,

Thanks for the info and setting me straight. I just skimmed the article in question and maybe missed the point. I will agree on the Ruger trigger comment. There are companies that have made money selling gunsmithing and after market trigger stuff for Ruger pistols and rifles.

I am not a skeet shooter but plan to try it this year. I bought a used Red Label for that and some grouse hunting.

Actually I am a Browning fan. I got a good deal on the Ruger and planned using it mainly as a hunting gun. I thought I'd try skeet, and if I liked it, buying a dedicated skeet gun, most likely a Browning.

My main point is that plenty of people knock Ruger, but if not for Bill Ruger, I think there are a lot of people that would not be shooting now. He makes a reliable and affordable gun. I don't like to see people question Ruger's reliability.

BTW I'm going to check my Citori. I'm pretty sure it does not have a mechanical trigger. I can't speak for the other brands that you mentioned.

------------------
Adapt, Improvise, Overcome.

[This message has been edited by Slick (edited 02-12-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Slick,
Your Citori has an inertial trigger. You can only dry fire it once by pulling the trigger. Then you have to slap the recoil pad to reset the trigger or move the barrel selector.

BTW use snap caps to dry fire your gun. Broke firing pins are a B!#@h.

Chuck Graber

<BusPilot>
posted
I know you are asking about the SxS, but all I can say is that I shoot the Red Label Sporting Clays model. I am not a great shooter. I am very average. It is not the gun--it is that I am not able to get the practice time in I need to be very good. The gun is not seen often, but that is because clay target sports have a huge snob factor. All I can say is that when the smoke cleared last season and I had shot a 41/50 on my (highly rated) clays course I felt very satisfied (gun low, by the way!). My buddy, a much better natural shot than I, commented that he felt bad about buying that $5,000 Kreighoff. He scored a 41 too! It's the shooter, not the gun. Annie Oakley would have dreamed to have a Red Label for her act! Let the snobs shoot their high-priced guns. I'll enjoy my Red Label; it's never had a problem or let me down.

------------------
God, Guns and Gibsons...doesn't get much better than that!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paladin:
Did anyone notice? Ruger has just announced a new side-by-side double 12ga., quite nice if the picture can be believed --and the price is a modest $1,995.00 ...a mere pittance.

I love side by sides but would have a difficult time buying a Ruger based on my veterinian's and my hunting partner's experience with the Red Label. My hunting partner's has misfired five times with less than 100 rounds. He won't take it hunting because of that and uses a Benelli with the same shells that misfire in the Ruger without problems. My vet has had to send his back to Ruger more than once (forget exactly why) but says he'll never again own a Red Label.

It's too bad about the reputation, I really like Ruger products and love the side by side!

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As my handle implies, I shoot a Red Label.

I've never had a misfire in skeet, clays, or the bird field and would have no reservation about giving that SxS a go. (wife has serious reservations, however we won't go there)

cheers, Mike

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Fish Springs>
posted
Okay, some people like Red Labels some don't. Has anyone had thier hands on the Gold Label or for that matter the Weatherby SxS.

I understand that neither is currently shipping and would love to be corrected by someone who is shooting one or both of these interesting guns. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one in my hands at the SCI convention in Las Vegas earlier this year. I thought it was a pretty nice gun and balanced well in my hands. The Ruger Rep did state that the gun was merely a prototype and acknowledged it had a few problems and that the actual production guns would have the bugs worked out.

I don't think I would hesitate to get one and take it into the field. I don't know if I will however. I've been shooting a Browning BSS in 20 Ga with a straight stock for years and have a lot of faith in it. And most of the time faith is enough when the birds are flying.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Sparticus>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Graber:
Slick,
Your Citori has an inertial trigger. You can only dry fire it once by pulling the trigger. Then you have to slap the recoil pad to reset the trigger or move the barrel selector.

BTW use snap caps to dry fire your gun. Broke firing pins are a B!#@h.

Chuck Graber

Don't slap the thing on the butt, just close the gun. Move your saftey from fire to safe and back again. Pull the trigger. This will set the second barrel. Try it... Mark [Smile] [Smile]

<wll>
posted
During the last two years I have spent at least 4 days a week at my local trap, skeet and sporting clays range. The ONLY Rugers you see are by the once a year dove and quail hunters. I have friends that have had Ruger shotguns when they first started out and had nothing but problems with them, including barrels separating from the monoblock !!

The guns used by the guys that shoot are Perazzi, Kreighoff, Beretta, Browning, Kolar, and an occasional SKB, older Winchesters (Mod 101, Mod 21 etc)

wll