THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Target loads not operating self-loaders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Target loads not operating self-loaders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was at an event last weekend involving a non-competitive clays shoot. Guys brought their field guns. I shoot a breakaction so no problem, but several of the guys that had various brands of self-loaders had to cycle them by hand since the target loads were insufficient to operate them. About half the self-loaders failed to function. Would this have been a problem with gun-setup or has the loading of target loads (I saw WW, Fed & Rio) factory loads gotten anemic?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I by mistake picked up some WW super lights and they would not cycle my Berettas.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was loading a lite load of red dot and about one out of 4 would not cycle my super M1 90.

I up the powder charge by 2 grs no more trouble.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
My 1100 will not eject the 1145 FPS loads if it is a little dirty. A quick wipe down of the tube and a little oil will solve the problem for a while.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to shoot light loads in a field gun you need to install a gas valve fron a target gun in it for proper cycling and if you shoot a lot of of field loads thru a target model you will see wear fairly quickly

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is a "light load"? In 12 ga. which I assume you are talking about, light loads can mean a lower shot weight eg. 7/8 or 1 oz. as well as a different velocity eg. 1200 fps. Both can change the cycling characteristics of a semi auto.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought a NIB Beretta 303 DU 20 for my wife. Beautiful gun but marked "magnum" only. $450.
Would not cycle standard or light loads.
Gave it to my smith and a box of light loads. He enlarged the gas ports in the barrel and it works great.
"Don't put magnums in it or you'll wreck it."
Few gas semi's will handle both the high and low pressure extremes.

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the gun and, most importantly, how clean it is and how long it has been since it was cleaned.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The real light loads are made for O/U's or pumps. If you want to use a semi-auto I suggest getting a purpose built gas barrel or using an inertia gun with a lighter action spring. If you have a Rem 1100 you can get a barrel and have a 'smith bore out the gas ports until it will cycle.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My SX3 cycles everything from light 2 3/4 to 3.5 inch shells without any issues. (Light being 1 oz loads; never tried anything less.)

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Light in semi autos depends on what kind of semi auto.

If its a gas operated gun, its purely a function of pressure and you may find some light loads that are at low PSI that won't work without doing some modification to the gas system, but some will work fine- it will be lot to lot... Typically dirty loads (when talking target loadings) mean low pressure and will likely not work in a Beretta or Remington.

If its a recoil operated (like Benelli) then its needing enough recoil to work the gun. Reducing the recoil spring can work for dedicated light loads but will get the gun all beat up when you use heavy loads. (such as setting it up to handle the WAA ultra light loads (about 7/8 oz of shot at 1145 FPS)) My experience with Bennellis is that some (non SBE) will work standard velocity (1200 FPS) 7/8 oz loads and some won't. Almost none will work with the WAA FL load unless you modify it or its been shot a bit and has a worn recoil spring. More will handle 1 oz 1200 FPS loads, and most including the SBE's will handle a handicap trap load (1 1/8 oz at 1200 FPS)

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At the trap and skeet range here, 1 oz 8's from RIO are lately not cycling Beretta autoloaders (they rent them, and lots of customers have their own). They think they must have changed powders or components as this load ran pretty consistently through auotloaders until the most recent lot of shells they've purchased. HTH.

In general, though, I load superlight 3/4 oz loads for my light SxS shotguns, and they won't cycle in my autoloader. There's a gun at the range who had the gas ports on his 1100 enlarged so his ultralight load would cycle, but he knows he cant shoot heavy field loads in it anymore. All gas guns are tuned to a certain range of ammo. Some are ingeniously tuned to adjust to several levels of ammo with gas bleeds,etc. But in general you can find loads that won't cycle.

Steve

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gas guns care about pressure, yes. But we need to be more specific. They care about port pressure. You can overstress and lock up a gas gun (391, M-16, garand) with an overload of fast burning powder that won't generate sufficient pressure at the gas port to cycle the gun. Think of something like Red Dot in a Garand, though that example is extreme........you might rupture the barrel before bullet arrives at port.

Examples in practice: my 20 ga 391 will cycle 1170 fps 3/4 oz weenie loads all day if I use 20-28, Univ, or Unique. If I use faster Green Dot or Int they barely cycle even at 1250+ fps. Interestingly, I need a higher charge of faster burning powder to make it cycle.

Back to factory loads - promotional loads often contain lighter charges of faster burning powders (vs best quality stuff). Saves money. They also uniformly employ less elastic steel base rims. That adds a measure of stickiness (slower relaxation against chamber wall). Even Win Model 12 guys understand that well.

All the above said, and on average, gas shotguns do a better job cycling light loads than do inertia and long-recoil guns - most of which are built for field use with heavier loads.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote