New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Classic Shotguns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am a few years out of date on my gun prices, what has happened with the american made double market over the past few years.

Prices on small bores were quite strong a few years back, especially if the barrels were 28"+ in length. Are Parkers still sky high?

I am trying to determine the value of two Fox Sterlingworths, a 16 with 30" barrels- fully refinished but very well done, and a 20 with 28" tubes, which is in good original condition. Both are extractor guns.

Any comments on market trends would be appreciated.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
A lot of fine doubles have come to market during the last 2 years or so. Check the top auction houses for recent realized sale prices (Julia, Rock Island, Poulin, Amoskeag, Holts, etc.) Small bore, long barrel, high grades in high original condition have held up the best. There is some concern about the trend though, lots of old timers who have an affinity for these kinds of guns "estate planning". Vintage doubles don't handle steel shot well either. Having said that, and after recently downsizing my collection, I have sealed bids at the upcoming Julia auction. My heirs can deal with it.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea on the pricing, but the recent increase in variety and availability of "soft" non-toxic shot, such as Nice, Tungsten Matrix, ITX and Bismuth have enabled a lot of classic doubles to once again hit the pheasant fields and duck blinds. with this returned utility I'd expect demand to increase, resulting in an upward adjustment in price.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
non-toxic shot, such as Nice, Tungsten Matrix, ITX and Bismuth have enabled a lot of classic doubles to once again hit the pheasant fields

Are there localities where non-lead shot is required for pheasants? Here in Texas it is only required for waterfowl, not for any upland birds.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek- in Washington State No-Tox shot is required on several of the state owned hunting areas in addition to the federal requirements for migratory birds. I understand that in a year or so all lead, even centerfire bullets will be banned in California.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote