THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Best semi auto out there nowadays?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best semi auto out there nowadays?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who is making the best semi auto these days? Use for ducks and pheasants.
Thanks

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MY money would be on a Benelli M2.

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No idea of today’s.

Years ago it was the Browning B2000.

We used a number of them, shooting literally hundreds of thousands of various ammo through them.

They worked, and worked, and worked.

Never had any problems whatsoever!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66671 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my Winchester SX3. Tried a Benelli but though recoil was softer than the SX3. That said, a lot of duck/goose guides love Benellis.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are capable of maintenance it’s a toss up between a Benelli or a Beretta.

The Benelli is a bit more reliable and lighter.

The Beretta has a gas system and recoils less.

Personally, the Benelli fits me better, and fit is everything in shotguns.

Try a few and what fits best is what to get.

Posts: 10460 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If durability is your thing, find a low-use Winchester Super X-1...built like a tank.

Posts: 20065 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Browning A5!! Sweet 16. Hunt the classics

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I go along with Biebs on the Winchester Super X-1, but my friend who guides goose hunts in Alberta and would know something about long term reliability tells me they use Benelli's.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Its got to be Benelli hands down, but having said that I own and shoot dozens of shotguns but do not have nor want a single semi auto. Sure they have their place but not in my gun room.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2244 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I'm still shooting my stable of Browning Auto 5s and Citoris, in 12, 16, and 20. Literally hundreds of ducks and pheasants have fallen to those shotguns. The vast majority of the Auto 5s are between 50-60 years old; some of the newer ones in the minority shoot steel shot and have the screw in choke tube system. The Citoris are, on average, around 25-30 years old and one Lightning Sporting Clays has had over 100,000 shells through it and still locks up tight and on face. The only thing that I have ever did to any of them was to add a recoil pad on some. I have never had to replace any parts on any of them. Big Grin John Browning was indeed a genius. tu2 I also shoot Browning BPS pumps and Model 12s and have a number of them. I have other shotguns in various manufacturers as well including Berretta, Franchi, Benelli, Ithaca, Weatherby, Mossberg, and a few others. Just my firsthand experience and my two centavos worth of opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Semi auto now days?? I hate cleaning them and have had the best luck with Benelli (any model) and Remington versamax. I abuse them terribly and people complain about how I use them. Two versamaxs have been sunk five feet in mud etc, pulled up and continue to shoot like champs with no jams etc. I haven't dropped a Benelli in the pond but still never clean them and they just work. My benellis shoot 5000-10,000 rounds a year each with all types of people using them and no issues.

Every beretta I have had starts jamming somewhere about 500-1000 rounds and just becomes a single shot. I don't currently own any but will probably in a moment of weakness, foolishly buy a new one for duck season just to become mad at it and give it to some kid who likes cleaning stuff. I don't learn well apparently. The last couple a400 whatever's I had I brought benellis as backups and had one jamming in 50 rounds and the other in about 100.

I have had great success with weatherby, franchi and tristar but nowhere near the round count to really compare but would choose any of those three (and do when taking kids out) over berettas any day.

I had terrible luck with two mossberg semi autos I won, no cycling right out of the box.

Old guns that work well for me have been the first browning A500 when they were recoil operated only, browning 2000 and Winchester sx1, but that is not what you asked.

Please don't think I'm beretta bashing as I own and love several, just all over unders. Also remember I won't clean them, people who do seem to really like beretta semi autos.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. I bought an M2 a few years ago and use it for goose hunting from layout blinds and it's also my rainy day pheasant gun. Works perfectly.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2281 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

I would put the top two as the benelli (SBE or M2, but check out the Rob Roberts customized ones) or the Beretta A400.

Trade off comes down to the A400 being a softer shooter if you care about recoil and most will say the benelli handles and points better. Benelli might handle cold, mud, etc a bit better but my A400's have run fine in everything and very cold temps.

If you are not worried about recoil (either gun is a great gun), I would make an effort to handle both of them and see what feels better to you.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
quote:

I agree. I bought an M2 a few years ago and use it for goose hunting from layout blinds and it's also my rainy day pheasant gun. Works perfectly.

I use a super M1-90 works well most of the time. It is the only simi-auto I own.

But for udder reliability feeding and going bang with most any thing you could stuff in a shotgun.

Give me a 870 or model 12.

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a Girsan MC312 and save about $1500.00 over a Benelli. Great gun. Read the r
eviews.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
those Girsan's are pretty decent guns, if I ever see one in 20ga. I'd probably give it a good look over.
it'd have to be pretty good to replace my Win. super X-2 I been trying to wear out since the 90's though.

Posts: 4954 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think one of the best deals for the price is the Beretta A300. My son and I each have one and they work great. We shoot target loads of 1 oz. at about 1150 fps (manual says about 7500 lup) up to 3" steel waterfowl loads and neither of us has had a single malfunction. We have been using them about 5 years. I think you can still buy one for about $700.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Benelli is the king in Louisiana. My son and I personally shoot an M1-90 and my son in law shoots a Benelli SBE, he kills more waterfowl than anybody I know (that is saying a lot because Louisiana guys are duck and goose killing machines). He hunts about 50 days a year from Geese and ducks in Kansas, to Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana.

I have shot a Benelli M1-90 20 gauge on dove shoots twice in Argentina, once in Uruguay, and once in Bolivia. 1000s of rounds. Never a problem.

They are inertia guns so they kick more than gas guns. I have my barrels ported by magnaport. That reduces recoil slightly but drastically reduces barrel jump giving me a quick second and third shot.

They are indestructible.

BTW,
Saeed is right. My go to gun before the Benelli was the Browning B 2000. They were discontinued and parts became hard to find so I unloaded the 4 I had. They were sweet shooting shotguns.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t semi autos that much, but bang for the buck it has to be Tristar.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
"Best" semiauto is a little vague, as it could mean best value, best fit, best reliability rating, best handling characteristics -- all of which change according to who is doing the shooting.
The Benellis have a great reputation for reliability all right. We sold a lot of them, especially to hard-core waterfowlers.
I have been impressed with some of the Turkish imports -- the Weatherbys, for example.
Had not heard of the Girsan. Looks interesting for the price point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqrldVU0C2k

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
If you are capable of maintenance it’s a toss up between a Benelli or a Beretta.

The Benelli is a bit more reliable and lighter.

The Beretta has a gas system and recoils less.

Personally, the Benelli fits me better, and fit is everything in shotguns.

Try a few and what fits best is what to get.

We had people using both Benelli and Beretta, and some Franchi too.

Non.

Not a single one was as reliable as the Browning B2000.

Those shotguns just worked.

Non stop.

I had one which always stayed in the trunk of my car.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66671 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, a few years ago I bought a CZ 912 which I use for skeet. I am sure that it costs a lot less than the guns previously mentioned, and I do not pretend to be a high volume shooter. Neither am I an expert on semi autos. Just a thought.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Most of the guns provided for Argentine dove hunts seem to be Benellis. And those get more use out of them in a month than most people do in a lifetime.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
High volume sport shooters who shoot semi auto's instead of O/U's overwhelmingly pick Beretta's. Hunters overwhelmingly pick a Benelli. I've seen both (and all semi autos) develop jamming problems, generally fixable. Often related to cleaning, but sometimes spring or battering related.

Also, Randy Wakeman has reviewed all of them. He really liked the new Remington V3 and the Weatherby S-08's IIRC, as well as the Beretta's and Benellis. Berettas and all gas guns shoot softer than intertia guns.

There are also a bunch of guns set up for heavy loads/3.5" loads (I think Browning Maxus, Winchester SX3, and and Remington VersaMax's and Beretta A400's) but they are incredibly bulky and don't seem like they'd be very lively, but might be good for waterfowl in a blind.

Posts: 1715 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Still shooting a Remington 11-48 (got for Christmas in 1968) and a Remington 11-87 that I bought in 1988. Never had any problems with either.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting an 80's 1100. I've managed to shoot it dirty enough to jam, and I've tried my light 7/8 oz loads in cold weather and had it be unreliable. But it's my favorite. No rib. Steel receiver. Lively, well-balanced gun.

Posts: 1715 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a turkey hunter first and foremost. If I were going to use a semi it would be a Super Black Eagle 11.
I think ducks ant geese need similar gun. If not my 10 gauge BPS, I would buy a Super Black Eagle II of or Browning A5 for ducks and geese. I killed a 3 year old Tom at 42 yards with a new A5 and Winchester High Brass 1300 FPS 7.5 and Browning factory full choke. The new A5 is just an inertia gun with a little Auto5 styling.

My wife has a wonderful Benelli 28 Gauge.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife has a wonderful Benelli 28 Gauge.

tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Those 28s are sweet little guns. Just a joy to shoot.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of shotguns. I have shot many owned by others in my travels. To me, it has to be either Benelli Or Beretta.

I probably shoot a lot more than the average person. Pre-pandemic, we usually made one or two trips a year to Argentina for high volume shooting. These would be 8,000 to 10,000 per trip. I probably shoot 2,000-3,000 a year quail hunting. My guns get used.

I choose Benelli over the Beretta for a variety of reasons. The two most important are the location of the safety and the size/location of the button used to chamber a shell when loading.

I have 3 Super Black Eagle 11 guns for me and my sons. These are largely used for turkeys & ducks. I have a Legacy in 28 & 20. These are largely used for quail. I have a 20 gauge Cordoba for high volume doves in Argentina. There are a couple of 20's for my sons.

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I waterfowl hunt probably 40 days a year in flooded rice fields and flooded timber when the conditions permit. I have a place in Arkansas, go to Canada every other year and ponds in my native state of KY I've been a hardcore waterfowler for maybe 15 years. Not much is harder on a shotgun than a duckhunter and a dog....LOL

For most of those years I shot a Benelli Super Black Eagle and SBE2. Benelli's are just tough and dead nuts reliable. They kick maybe 10% more than a gas gun but nit enough to matter in a duck blind or pheasant field. I still have my SBE2 and it still sees several days a year in the field but the finish is mostly worn off and I really need to send it out to have it dipped and re-coated. Still runs like a champ though.

The last five years I have been running a Beretta A400 Extrema. Its gotten all the punishment a duck hunter can hand out and hasn't missed a beat that was the gun's fault. The first two years I owned it I never cleaned it. Literally took it out of the box, put it together and went hunting with it. I forgot to clean it at the end of the first season and just said the hell with it and went hunting the second season. Sprayed a few blasts of CLP in the action and called it good. On the last day of the second season it choked on a shell. I quickly diagnosed the problem--the back of the receiver was packed with enough rice straw and mud that it prevented the bolt from fully cycling to the rear. I took the trigger group out right there in the blind. Scooped out the offending straw and mud with my finger, put it together and finished the season without missing a beat. Can't fault the gun for that. Since then I've cleaned it maybe twice a season. Amd it gets dunked in the water and knocked over in the mud a bunch. Its never missed a beat except for a bad stick of ammo or two.

I will say I would not buy a Versamax as I've seen way too many of those guns go down and end peoples hunts. Three people I shared a duck blind this past year had problems. Two lost their bolt handles and one bent the operating rod system on the back of the bolt. All of them commented their Versamaxes have had lots of problems. Of course with Remington out of business its a moot point.

These days with steel shot its really a 3" shell game. 3.5" during late season maybe. You old guys shooting old 2 3/4" Recoil driven guns are going to have a hard time keeping up. Not impossible. I shoot a 20 gauge Benelli sometimes during early season just for fun. But late season...the shots are long and far between.

The turkish autoloading guns have been OK from some. COuple of people I hunt with bought them for their kids. THey all seem to choke some...

So in summary,,,,a Benelli or Beretta has been a great choice...again I'm running them hard with maybe 500 shells a season and almost zero maintenance. 500 shells isn't a lot. But in those conditions it is...
YMMV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To clarify, the A5 I referenced is a New A5 which is just a Benelli inertia gun with a little Auto5 styling of yesterday in the receiver. The receiver on the New A5 is much less square and high.

Love the gun and does good work. I used the 2 3/4 inch Super X 1 1/4 1300 FPS rated 7.5 shot sell because on that turkey Tom because I grabbed the wrong box hurrying to get out the door, and was not going back.

Bang and flop.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Dogcat, are you looking for a hunting gun, or a show piece?

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting...

I am getting more recoil sensitive due to shoulder issues.

What does the collective wisdom of AR suggest?

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Hunting...

Beretta A400

I personally like some kick in my shotgun. But then I don’t hunt birds anymore just feed them in my backyard and catch ducks out of my pool with a pool net. I do like shooting my Benelli M4 at the plinking range. I never miss with it Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and catch ducks out of my pool with a pool net

Yep, me too. I know that it is somewhat off topic, but true!

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I usually shoot my S/S or O/U, + sometimes my pumps but for an auto I still like my OLD early A5. Shooting a piece of history.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but for an auto I still like my OLD early A5. Shooting a piece of history.

I do too, and mine's still going strong!

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Hunting...

Ross, I’ve been hunting ducks for 53 years. For the first 50 seasons, I shot 12 gauges. Then, I sold my duck club in California and joined a new club in Idaho where 12 gauges are not allowed. We only use 20, 28 and 410’s to hunt ducks, over 90% of which are mallards. There is a big drop off from 28 gauge to 410, but you’d be surprised at how effective a 28 gauge shooting quality shells is for mallards. I prefer Hevi-X 4’s.

I’ve bought 9 or 10 small gauge shotguns over the last 3 years, as I provide guns for my guests to use when they hunt with me. The most popular are Beretta A400’s and Winchester SX-3’s.

My favorite is a 28 gauge Beretta A400. I’m getting another for my guests to use, I like them that much. Once you start shooting birds with a 20 or 28, you’ll discover they’re plenty effective and a hell of a lot more pleasant to shoot. Several of us even use 20’s for most of our Canada Goose hunts. They work fine on decoying geese.

Posts: 3827 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I have gotten older, I have shot the 20 and 28 gauges more and more. I have stables of both 20's and 28's, in SXS's, O/A's, semi-auto's and pump's. You will enjoy hunting and shooting so much more! tu2 In fact, the last time that I hunted Chukar with a friend of mine, I carried a Browning 425 Citori 12 gauge O/A (wanted to try out some new Browning Midas choke tubes). I was sorry that I did! It'll be back to the 20 and 28 next time!