New
Find
Notify
Tools

Youth shooter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just introduced my 12 year old son to trapshooting. He has taken to it like a duck to water. He’s a strapping lad at 5’4”/135#. He’s shooting his mama’s wing master and I was thinking St. Nick might bring him one for Christmas. What would you folks recommend in an over/under with a $800 or less budget?

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
Put the word out that you are looking for an O/U for a 12 year old at the local trap clubs. Lots of times there are older shooters that will cut you a deal for a kid. I have seen Perrazi's go for less than $2,000 for a good kid. You might find used guns at a local shop for well under $800. Browning, Tri Star, etc. Since Cali is lead free now, you might find a full/mod choke gun for cheap.

just my 2 cents

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington 3200?

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both. I’ll certainly be using your advice

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a new gun you can get a CZ (made by Huglu in Turkey) within your price range. The Huglus are a notch or two above the Russian or Brazilian shotguns sold at discount stores and seem very serviceable.

I find that used SKB's (some labeled as Ithacas) often go for modest money and are tough as nails. Sometimes you can find a Browning Citori within your price range.

Be careful of buying a used gun from a serious trap shooter. After tens of thousands of rounds there can be a lot of internal parts that are on the edge of giving it up.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote