Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger American Ranch .300 AAC
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I recently picked up a Ruger American Ranch in .300 Blackout. Put a Nikon P-300 BLK scope on it and screwed my Yankee Hill Phantom suppressor on it. Added a Glade's Armory bolt handle just to juice it up a little. Shooting it with subsonic Hornady Black ammunition it is extremely accurate at 100 yards. Sounds like a loud pellet gun. The Ruger American rifles are not much to look at but they sure seem to shoot well.

I have asked Hornady for the load information on the ammo, i.e., the powder, charge and primer.

Mike

Posts: 21191 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fine setup. Very nice range as well Big Grin

I just got a 700 in 300Blk, shot it Sunday with several handloads, 115 Bergers, it did well too.

Haven't got my 30 caliber moderator yet though.......

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Have you found that those bullets expand in game Jim?

I have been trying to get a subsonic load working for discreet culling near habitation here but have found that none of the usual 30 cal bullets will expand going at 1050fps, this includes bullets meant for the 30-30 and pretty much all of the offerings from the main companies below 130 grains.

I am at the point of either casting my own and paper-patching them or a bullet meant for the 32 ACP or 30 mauser. I would prefer a bit more weight than the latter however to ensure decent penetration.

I have heard of a company called "Lehigh" who apparently make bullets just for the subsonic, they are of course almost impossible to obtain over here "just to try", I would need to order a substantial number.

Have any of you guys tried them?

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ghubert, try the 195gr CEB bullets.

Posts: 1067 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ghubert, I haven't tried these particular bergers on game. I have used a bunch of their vlds on game successfully.

I think the heavys mentioned above would be the way to go, but i have no actual experience. Yet!

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:

I found some 190 gr sub sonic bullets by that company, they look interesting.

Have you tried them?

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Ghubert, I haven't tried these particular bergers on game. I have used a bunch of their vlds on game successfully.

I think the heavys mentioned above would be the way to go, but i have no actual experience. Yet!

I have tried Berger bullets at both normal and subsonic speeds.

At normal speeds (3006 class) they perhaps over expand however at subsonic speeds ( at a third of he velocity there is only a sixth of the energetic don't forget) they pencil through.

I would prefer a light bullet because I am mainly shooting foxes in these periurban areas to lessen the chance of over penetration

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ghubert, I only just got a Ruger American in 300 blk out, so just starting test. What you are looking for is a bullet made for a 32-20, I have tried those, although not at subsonic levels. At 16oo fps they shred a pigeon, and do not exit a raccoon hit in the shoulders.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very nice range as well Big Grin

I have decided to give up my membership at Bayou Rifles. BASC is just too damn convenient. We need to coordinate on a Sunday and I will bring the suppressed Ruger and we can compare notes. I would love to find a good load to hunt with this year . . . although I have to be able to take shots out to 200 yards given my stand location.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

Very nice range as well Big Grin

I have decided to give up my membership at Bayou Rifles. BASC is just too damn convenient. We need to coordinate on a Sunday and I will bring the suppressed Ruger and we can compare notes. I would love to find a good load to hunt with this year . . . although I have to be able to take shots out to 200 yards given my stand location.

You bet! Very glad you are enjoying the club Mike, we have worked very hard to make it what it is.

200 yards might be a stretch for a subsonic blackout........probably somewhere around 30 MOA???? Heck of a trajectory. You'd need to be a pretty quick scope dialer with a good range finder.....

I am trying to get it figured out......slowly....

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think supersonic will be the way to go if I use it for hunting. I have to say with the suppressor even supersonic it is not very loud.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would prefer a light bullet because I am mainly shooting foxes in these periurban areas to lessen the chance of over penetration

That makes a lot of sense......I think the Berger 115's would be much too hard for what you are trying to do. Berger's "match" bullets have pretty tough jackets. I drive these same bullets awfully hard out of 30BR for score shooting.....I just had them on hand and decided to try them for accuracy testing on a new rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
quote:
Originally posted by eny:

I found some 190 gr sub sonic bullets by that company, they look interesting.

Have you tried them?
yes but only on coyotes, small hole in and out, lot's of blood, short run.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
For hunting I plan to check out the Barnes 110 grain Tipped TAC-TX bullet loads. Reading the many reviews on Midway about the performance of this bullet/load on game is pretty impressive.

Barnes 100 Grain VOR-TX

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For hunting I plan to check out the Barnes 110 grain Tipped TAC-TX bullet loads. Reading the many reviews on Midway about the performance of this bullet/load on game is pretty impressive.

Barnes 100 Grain VOR-TX

I bet those do the trick well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Excuse my ignorance but why would one need a 30 cal to shoot foxes?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
quote:

Excuse my ignorance but why would one need a 30 cal to shoot foxes?

Because a .22 LR with subsonic ammunition is not really enough gun for shooting them in the chest and when one is doing what amounts to a professional culling job it can be a bit tricky to pass up shots that you could take with a bit more oomph.

I shoot about a 100 foxes a year in these circumstances and have found that anything under a hot loaded 243 with 55 gr ballistic tips isn't guaranteed to drop the fox where it stands with a a chest shot.

It tried a heavily suppressed .22wmr which kills fine with a chest shot but the run like deer for 50 yards or so before dropping stone dead.

Issue is that in London that 50 yards could be three back yards across to where they hysterical hippies live...

they then call the police, the newspapers, etc, etc.

I don't know if a 30 cal with the "glance proof" bullet The Dane got me onto in my thread below will do it but I would like to try for myself. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it now Ghubert....thanks for the explanation. I can see where "drop it on the spot" would be important in that situation.

I wonder how it would work on hysterical hippies. rotflmo

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
Got it now Ghubert....thanks for the explanation. I can see where "drop it on the spot" would be important in that situation.

I wonder how it would work on hysterical hippies. rotflmo

It wouldn't, in short. Big Grin

Here is an article about the scale of the problem in London, I'm not Tom Keighley I hasten to add!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...RBAN-fox-hunter.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Barnes 100 Grain VOR-TX
I have used those, and they do not expand a subsonic velocities and have found them down range from my targets still in one piece after hitting dirt at 50 yards. (there is a big hill about 200 yards past where I shoot that collects everything)

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I drank the 300 Blackout Kool-Aid awhile back and currently have three of them; Ruger American, Remington 700 AAC, and the NEF Handi-Rifle AAC). The Ruger American that I have is incredibly accurate with the Barnes 110 grain ammo; 1/2" 3-shot groups at 100 yards is almost routine.

I'm going to do some hog-hunting in a couple weeks and intend to use one of the Blackout's in subsonic mode. Still doing some load development and finding it tricky to hit the velocity window (~1050fps) and accuracy requirements (MOA @100 yards). Rather than chase the frangible bullet loads I'm going with the heaviest bullet I can get to shoot reliably. I tried some various commercial cast bullets and am now leaning towards the Lapua 200 grain and/or Sierra 220 grain round nose.

I can tell you that what works in one of my rifles does not behave the same in the other. For example, the same loads will vary 50 fps difference; same chronograph, same temperature, same loads, etc.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike get a boyds pro varmite to replace factory trash for 150 bucks well worth it. A1680 and lil gin are great sub sonic powders , H110 for supper sonic. Look up maker bullets for subsonic bullets that expand, nosler just came out with a sub sonic bullet. I killed a 300lb+ bore at 80 yards with a subsonic maker bullet / Shot into the neck has it 1/4 toward me . It made it to the vitals ,dead with in 30 yards! If your going to hunt sub sonic ,make up a range card ,get a good rangefinder and a scope that will dial repeatabley. Short range snipping fun at its best

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same gun with a Silencerco ( spelling?) suppressor. I am shooting American Eagle subsonic ammo.
The gun is quite accurate.

My intention was to hammer some porkers on my ranch without causing too much of a disturbance. I have shot a few but no where near the number I need to. All of my shots have been brain shots. Expansion has not been an issue. The longest shot has been about 70 yards.

It has been an interesting exercise. I have shot over deer to kill the hogs on one occasion. The deer kept feeding . On a couple of occasions, the other hogs moved off but came right back. This proved to be a fatal mistake.

It is a really interesting sound to hear the bullet hit.

I like the suppressor on my Blackout due to the short barrel. I hate it on my long rifles.

Posts: 11944 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle with silencerco suppressor in .223. Haven’t gone sub yet but going to try that soon. Just shooting Fed 55 grain FMJ in it now, very accurate. We shoot pigs from our deer stand with it. I was so impressed with that rifle I bought another in 6.5 creedmore and ordered another .308 can.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote