Find
Notify
Tools

my first foray into suppressors
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Last January I broke out the checkbook and started the sequence for two suppressors; a Silencerco .22 Sparrow and a .308 AAC Cyclone. I have a Ruger 22/45 and S&W M&P 15-22. I obtained an AAC H&R Handi-Rifle in 300 Blackout (you have to start somewhere). CDNN had a close out on these awhile back so I bought one.

Took ~four months for approval to come through. Today was my first range outing with everything.

Shot the Ruger pistol and the M&P rifle at 25 yards. There was no drama with either with the Sparrow screwed on and after the first shot it was indeed quieter. I'm particularly impressed with the Ruger 22/45 Lite; I've put 150 rounds through it using four different kinds of ammo and no issues at all. Using a Bushnell T-25 red dot that I got for around $80 bucks it will kill tin cans at 25 yards all day long.

The S&W MP 15-22 I got back from a son that moved to New York where it doesn't comply. It has the cool factor my grandkids like and it works fine with the Sparrow in place. Otherwise it isn't my kind of .22 but it certainly does function well.

Then I moved to the 100 yard benches and fired the Handi Rifle with the suppressor in place. I had already mounted a scope on this and got it on paper. As I'm not a big fan of the sawtooth look of slotted rails I put a Talley one piece medium mount/ring on it. With all that height to clear the hammer I selected a Redfield Revenge 3-9 x 52 scope. Hammer cleared by 1/8th inch and the front objective by 1/4 inch. This scope is plenty good for the 100 yard shooting I will do.

I tried 3 different types of subsonic ammo; Remington green/yellow box 220 grain, Hornady 208 Max, and Nosler 220 gr Match.

All sounded about like a bb gun at the range. You could shoot without hearing protection all day long. Recoil with the 220 grain subsonic is slightly more than a .22 magnum (virtually nothing) With and without the suppressor made a BIG difference in ammo preference. I got 3 shot groups MOA with the Remington without the suppressor. With the suppressor it went 5 inches. Surprisingly the vaunted Hornady was crappy with and without the suppressor. With and without the Nosler 220 gr match did the best overall. Without the suppressor it shot 2 MOA, with the suppressor it was nearly 1 MOA.

At 100 yards with an el-cheapo rifle and a ~9 pound trigger I'm okay with 1.5" groups.

I've got more 30 caliber suppressed projects in the works. Also looking at starting the process for a .45 caliber can that will handle handguns and perhaps an Encore rifle in 45 Long Colt.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
very cool report and results

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
The Next Range Report:

#1) 25 yards with a Ruger 10/22 TD with a Tactical Solution barrel and the Silencerco Sparrow in place. Three different types of ammo. All grouped well (~inch clusters) but three very different POI several inches apart. That end of the range was crowded today so will return to finalize which ammo I'm going to go with full-time. Had comments from nearby shooters how quiet it was.

#2 Local gun shop had a Remington 700 in 308 getting dusty in the rack. This is the 16.5" version, threaded muzzle, and Hogue stock. While waiting for the suppressor to come in I traded for it. Had ideas of reloading already on hand .308 components to come up with subsonic loads for it. Using Trailboss loaded up some odd lot hunting bullets; 165, 170, and 180 grains.

This being the first trip to the range for this rifle and its scope I also took a quantity of 165 grain full power loads and used these to get sighted in at 100 yards. With the suppressor in place I was very pleased that it shot a couple 1" groups. There was indeed the supersonic 'crack' of the bullet but the boom was certainly reduced. To me it sounded about like a .22 magnum.

Then I shot the various subsonic loads. Good news is they were very quiet and the 1-10 twist stablized them (no keyholes). Accuracy was marginal; 3-4 inches. Biggest thing was the POI was 8-10 inches (lower) than the 165 grain full power loads. That's a lot of clicks or mil-dot calculations for my KISS approach to things.

Today's take-away is that I'm going to stick with full power loads in this 308-suppressor rifle set up. I like the MOA groups and reduced noise. I'm sure I could play with it and come up with subsonic 308 loads that shoot better than those I used today with lighter bullets. I'd go with 200 grain+ bullets and around 10 grains of Trailboss and develop from there. But with a 300 Blackout already on hand that will shoot 1.5 MOA with over-the-counter subsonic ammo I'm not sure developing subsonic loads for the .308 is a priority. The 300 Blackout was designed for subsonic loads, the 308 wasn't and appears to require some effort.

NOTE: I am not a subject expert on this topic. I'm learning as I go and sharing this in case somebody else is considering taking the plunge. And of course, your mileage may vary.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 16.5" M700 with a 7.62 Specwar is a very, very nice combination! You'll like it ;-) even with supersonic ammunition!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote