New
Find
Notify
Tools

sight question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have a recently acquired a can for a 1911 and the front is just "that short" of being tall enough to see over the can, so its a point and shoot gun right now. i'm wondering if anyone else had this problem. the two choices i'm considering are a taller front sight or a red dot rear sight. with my eyes not as young as when rope was invented anymore, i'm leaning to the red dot, but seems like that would make it real unwieldy to carry, if a holster for that even exists, other than a speed competition thing.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, that is why the newer guns are advertised as having extra high front sights. Yes, that has been an issue for some time. A red dot sight would do it and would probably be the easiest to install. You could check with the manufacturer and see if they make a taller front sight. Still, installing it might be a problem without the correct equipment. Additionally, installing a red dot might also be a problem depending on the gun you have. I am puzzled by your comment about unwieldy to carry. Are you planning on carrying your suppressed 1911 concealed?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Trijicon and XS make 'suppressor height sights' for the 1911.

Tru-Glo may make them also(?).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
John, that is why the newer guns are advertised as having extra high front sights. Yes, that has been an issue for some time. A red dot sight would do it and would probably be the easiest to install. You could check with the manufacturer and see if they make a taller front sight. Still, installing it might be a problem without the correct equipment. Additionally, installing a red dot might also be a problem depending on the gun you have. I am puzzled by your comment about unwieldy to carry. Are you planning on carrying your suppressed 1911 concealed?
Peter.

thanks for reply. i guess the term unwieldy was misleading. the only time i have ever seen a red dot sight on a 1911 or any auto pistol was in dillons Blue Press featuring race guns and pics on the internet. never seen one holstered in real life (i'm in south tx remember) and dont really remember seeing a civilian holster for sale that touted the ability to hold one w/a red dot sight. we're in the boonies out here. but to answer your question.....hell no. not concealed. i wouldn't be surprised if i showed up at our community range with a red dot type sight on a pistol and have to let everyone fondle it!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Trijicon and XS make 'suppressor height sights' for the 1911.

Tru-Glo may makes them also(?).

George

thanks

posted Hide Post
You're welcome!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
holy crap! those red sights START at around $550 and skyrocket from there. this is just a shoot off the back porch at clangers fun gun that won't piss off the neighbors, not a competition gun. looks like i'm gonna have to go with a taller front sight.

posted Hide Post
You can get a Trijicon Dual Illuminated RMR for $400 or less. Botach often has them on sale.

Suppressor sights are far less expensive and don't require a competition of tactical holster.

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
john c I don;t know what kind of red dot you are looking for. There are the tube type and the reflex type. Both kinds have been around long enough to find Chinese knock offs for much less than the premier brands. When I say "much less", I mean around $50. So, the first step for you IMHO is to figure out how you are going to mount it on your 1911. I have a few race guns with the tube type red dot sights, and , as you pointed out, these are mounted using a mount that requires drilling and tapping the mount to the frame. Nothing wrong with this as the frame does not move and therefore the sight does not have to withstand the reciprocation of the slide. The reflex type sight is generally mounted on the slide generally using a plate that is secured to the slide. The slide on a 1911 is quite rounded and so I am not sure what is available, but unless the gun is designed for it, will require some machining of the slide, just in order to fit the plate. Anyway, researching this would be my first step.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
for testing and measurement purposes ONLY

what you need...
sharpie
toothpick
superglue
pocketknife

cut a section of the toothpick WAY too high, color it with the sharpie - glue it on the front sight, go to the range, trim and adjust until rear sight and front sight work

measure height needed and order

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good. soon as the dust clears around here gonna do that. thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
peter...time is extremely limited but will be covering that process as time allows. thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
john, something else to consider: many years ago when red dot sights first came out, someone manufactured a mount that replaced the left grip panel on a 1911, and incorporated a mount for a scope or a red dot sight. The advantage of this was that you did not need a "racker" to manually operate the slide, as well as, of course, the convenience factor. Something to bear in mind is that the addition of a reflex sight does make slide operation a little more difficult. I am sure the experts will chime in and say "no it doesn't", but, there you go. At one point I had such a mount as I described. I will look and see if I still have it. Having said all that, if you have a gunsmith who can drift out the existing front sight and install a higher one, that would probably be the best solution unless you really want a red dot.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not stuck on a red site at all. in fact would rather have a taller front site now that i know what they cost. i have, or have had, site pushers from years ago. lots of stuff still missing in the recent move. but i still have the brass hammers and punches, etc so will probably go with that.

posted Hide Post
John,

Which can did you buy?

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TI-RANT 45M

RUGGED DESIGN RAZOR for 30 cal

so far have only shot the 45. loading 3.8 gr BE under 230 gr ball. sounds bout like a 22 short.
guy at silencer shop in austin told me i could just spray carb cleaner etc down cans to clean out carbon etc (off gun of course)
after 200 rds i put can in ultrasonic cleaner and still had to wipe carbon off it to clean it.
may try the carb cleaner first next time
fun as hell though

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
john c I don;t know what kind of red dot you are looking for. There are the tube type and the reflex type. Both kinds have been around long enough to find Chinese knock offs for much less than the premier brands. When I say "much less", I mean around $50. So, the first step for you IMHO is to figure out how you are going to mount it on your 1911. I have a few race guns with the tube type red dot sights, and , as you pointed out, these are mounted using a mount that requires drilling and tapping the mount to the frame. Nothing wrong with this as the frame does not move and therefore the sight does not have to withstand the reciprocation of the slide. The reflex type sight is generally mounted on the slide generally using a plate that is secured to the slide. The slide on a 1911 is quite rounded and so I am not sure what is available, but unless the gun is designed for it, will require some machining of the slide, just in order to fit the plate. Anyway, researching this would be my first step.
Peter.

were i to email or text u a pic of the rear sight could you tell whether a red dot is feasable w/out redoing the slide?

one of us
posted Hide Post
John, sorry for the delay in replying. You haven't said what make the 1911 is. Assuming it is a normal dovetail, you might check out EGW gun works, or just Google "red dot sight mounts for 1911". Some have pointed out that red dots are often seen on 9mm's rather than 45ACP's. the implication being that the recoil of a 45 might be worse for red dots than for a 9mm. Bear in mind my previous comments about increased difficulty of racking the slide with a red dot. You haven't said the objective. Could it be met with a grip mounted laser? I have one on one of my Kimbers but will have to look to see where it is mounted on the grip. If below the trigger guard then you should be in good shape.
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the gun is a basic springfield 1911. in 2012 i had a gunsmith of some acclaim completly customize it for me as a retirement gift to myself. included custom adjustable sights. i'm looking more and more to installing a higher front sight but he drilled and pinned it to the slide. guess i'm gonna have to drill it out. its a roll pin