Find
Notify
Tools

Potential first time suppressor buyer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Forgive the basic questions but I will be moving to a free state soon and this will be my first opportunity to buy a suppressor.

Can I use the same suppressor on different caliber rifles? Say I want one that will fit on my 5.56 NATO AR-15 upper and also work on a 350 Legend upper. Will it work as long as that have the same barrel muzzle threads? Do I have to change the internal baffles and end cap?

What is the BATF controlled part of a suppressor; the can, the baffles or both?

Are the suppressors sized for a certain amount of gas/size of the cartridge?

Can a gunsmith thread the muzzle of a Ruger No.1 with the barrel on the receiver or should it be removed first?

Are there certain common thread sizes for suppressors and does anyone make an adapter to let you mount the same suppressor can on different diameter barrel threads?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a .30 cal suppressor can be used for everything smaller diameter, except a caution on rimfires due to fouling. The oversized front hole does somewhat limit the noise reduction on smaller calibers, but most suppressors have different end caps that can be swapped out.

Suppressors can also be equipped with quick attachments, or the attachment threads can be changed for various threaded barrels.

I'm on my second suppressor and I'll save you a bunch of trial and error. Buy a Dead Air Nomad Ti Long and equip it with a Xeno adaptor. Then buy end caps for 6.5 and 5.56. This will work for everything .30 cal and smaller, but not your .350 Legend.

I've had 3 barrels threaded, all were removed to have threaded. Concentricity is paramount to prevent mis-alignment.

Suppressors work on semi-auto's but you'll want an adjustable gas block due to the increased back pressure. They're not as effective on a semi-auto as they are on a bolt action. The one overlooked item with suppressors is they also greatly dampen recoil. With the properly tuned gas block, you'll be surprised how nice the recoil is tamed. This is especially nice on a hog gun where follow up shots are a big benefit.

Feel free to PM me for any help I can offer. I'm not an expert, but I've been down this same path and can save you some money and hassle.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information.

I've actually hunted with a suppressor before on a 222 in New Zealand. Top_Predator took me out hunting for feral goats, turkeys and small game. That's where I fell in love with them. That 222 rem shot like a 22 long rifle.

Interesting information about needing an adjustable gas block for the semis, I never even thought of that. That's going to factor into interchangeability.

Again, Thanks

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks, again.

I have another question if everyone doesn't mind.

If I have a family trust for property and other assets can I use it as the the owner of the suppressors?

Frank

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I would not use an existing trust. Not even sure it would be applicable. Just bite the bullet and form a proper NFA trust online. They are $100 or so.

I did mine through Silencershop and when I went to buy more cans 8 years later, the rules had changed and they sent me updated addendums to have notarized and added to the trust.

What can did you decide on?

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
If I had it to do all over again, I might change one thing. I would start with a .45 cal rifle can like the Hybrid 45. One designed for everything up to 45-70 and 338 Lapua. To me it looks the same as an Omega (probably different) but suppresses the sound the same. I have mine on a 45-70 and it’s ridiculous how quiet 410 grain subs are out of that gun.

I’m not convinced that a caliber specific endcap makes a noticeable difference at all. For example, the 300 Saker (Chimera now) is quieter w 5.56 than the 5.56 Saker. Yes, heavier and bigger, but still quieter.

In order of preference, I’d get a Hybrid 45 (Or Hybrid M 45). Second choice would be 300 Omega. There is a reason it’s the best selling can.

You might find yourself buying guns to go with your can! I fell victim to a Henry X in 45-70. I’m balls deep in the subsonic 45-70 world now. I wasn’t aware that a lever gun could be as accurate as a bolt gun, but I’m getting sub MOA with cheap Berrys plated bullets.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
If I had it to do all over again, I might change one thing. I would start with a .45 cal rifle can like the Hybrid 45. One designed for everything up to 45-70 and 338 Lapua.

I think I agree with Wendell. If I had to do it over, I'd go with one of the .45 cans too. But then I'd have a dedicated Nomad LTi for my primary bolt guns.

I've been starting to eye those Ruger/Marlin 45-70 levers.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a suppressor manufacturer here in NZ. I am not posting this as any support of the business although I and my sons do use these suppressors. The website contains quite a lot of useful information on the workings and specs of suppressors. Note these Gunworks suppressors contain internal muzzle brakes (stainless steel for the magnum suppressor).

https://www.gunworks.co.nz/suppressor-222-to.html

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I just got back from Kentucky and closed on the farm. I was there for a week changing all the locks, installing an alarm system, talking to the neighbors about cutting my pastures, meeting the sheriff and a couple of deputies, talked to the local equipment dealers about tractors and just generally having fun.

I'll start moving my daughter and the grand kids there next month where she'll start the construction on her house and Wifezilla and I should be there in a couple of months.

I'm researching threaded barrels for my 10/22 and other fun stuff.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Thanks guys, I just got back from Kentucky and closed on the farm. I was there for a week changing all the locks, installing an alarm system, talking to the neighbors about cutting my pastures, meeting the sheriff and a couple of deputies, talked to the local equipment dealers about tractors and just generally having fun.

I'll start moving my daughter and the grand kids there next month where she'll start the construction on her house and Wifezilla and I should be there in a couple of months.

I'm researching threaded barrels for my 10/22 and other fun stuff.

Awesome

I would only shoot suppressed if I owned property.

Hell I own a dozen suppressor in anticipation of buying some land.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have 70 acres with about 30 in woods and the rest in pastures. I've already seen rabbits, ground hogs, skunks and turkeys on it.

I just ordered a 10/22 INTEGRAL GEMTECH MIST-22 SUPPRESSOR BARREL from Sniper Central and they started the stamp and trust paperwork.

Frank