New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are suppressors really worth it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got my first suppressor earlier this year. The wait time was ridiculous. I could not wait to try it out. Yes, it indeed reduces the sound considerably. That is fantastic. Other than that, I see nothing but problems.

The gun is probably 8 inches longer. This is where the trouble starts. This causes a variety of problems including but not limited to:

1- The balance is gone.
2- Trying to carry it on a sling is damn near impossible.
3- The gun is too long for any case.
4- The gun can't be put in the cases on my 4 wheeler.
5- In my shooting houses, it is incredibly difficult to maneuver the gun to shoot.
6- I have webbing around my tripods. It is almost impossible to maneuver the gun around .

My 300 Blackout has a short barrel to begin with. It is much easier to use but that is not a practical caliber for hunting.

I am beginning to question why I did this.

Posts: 11906 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
They aren't for everyone or every situation.

The balance of a rifle is affected by the addition of big scopes, heavy bipods, laminated stocks, etc.

Those accessories provide a tangible benefit that must be weighed against their drawbacks. The same holds true for suppressors.

None of the issues you mention are insuperable.

You can leave the can off the gun while carrying it on your shoulder, on your ATV, or cased, and attach it when you arrive at your destination.

You can enlarge the windows on your shooting house.

You can move the webbing around your tripods out another foot to provide clearance.

The .300BLK is practical out to about 150yds. with supersonic ammunition. The can will reduce the report and make it non-directional. The slap of the bullet will startle game, however.

As for the wait times, those are Obama's fault. His anti-gun stance permeated throughout the government and caused things to slow down significantly.

The Rule 41F proposal resulted in hundreds of thousands of applications being submitted at or near the July 2016 deadline.

NFA Branch is working through them but it's taking time.

Think of it as waiting for your taxidermy from a safari; it's expensive, takes a ridiculously long time, but once you get it you forget about all that crap and enjoy it. Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easier said than done. The webbing is on the outside of the tripods now.

While I could make the windows larger, it does not change the size of the shooting house. Still a problem.

Posts: 11906 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I literally just got mine for a .300 Blackout this week.
I was planning on shooting a few does and maybe some pigs with it (other than of course general fun)
Why do you not believe it to be practical? (I was reading the other thread related to this)
Is it because of the type of projectile?

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is the combination of carrying a rifle with the suppressor attached and trying to maneuver the rifle around inside of various commercially available deer stands. It is simply too long with the suppressor attached.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I got my first suppressor earlier this year. The wait time was ridiculous. I could not wait to try it out. Yes, it indeed reduces the sound considerably. That is fantastic. Other than that, I see nothing but problems.

The gun is probably 8 inches longer. This is where the trouble starts. This causes a variety of problems including but not limited to:

1- The balance is gone.
5- In my shooting houses, it is incredibly difficult to maneuver the gun to shoot.
6- I have webbing around my tripods. It is almost impossible to maneuver the gun around .

My 300 Blackout has a short barrel to begin with. It is much easier to use but that is not a practical caliber for hunting.

I felt exactly the same when I first got a moderator for my 3006, There are however things that can be done.

1&2. This is undeniable, especially with steel, muzzle mounted suppressors. I started off with one of these:

The supremely efficient ( at sound reduction ) BR Tuote T8 which being a reflex design added only 4" to the OAL of the rifle but weighed almost two pounds being made of steel and rated for continous semi-automatic fire. This made the rifle very unbalanced when carrying over the shoulder but I have to admit made it more steady on aim offhand. The balance I had to live with as an unavoidable consequence of mass and distance about the centre of gravity of the rifle but the carrying issue is pretty easy to address.

Get yourself one of these slings (or similar): http://www.niggeloh.de/index.php/rifle-slings.html Which are wide and faced on the inside with non slip neoprene. Try and match that with a shoulder patch of non slip material or one of those jackets that has little rubber nodules on the shoulder for that purpose. Then carry the rifle muzzle down rather than up, carrying it up is fighting gravity as the muzzle is now the heaviest extremity of the rifle. Make sure you don't block up the muzzle with crap, I put a small round paper sticker over the hole at the end when it's snowing for this reason. The patch does not affect accuracy.

I did eventually get sick of having a lump of pig iron on the end of the barrel and realised I had bought into the hype of "Continous fire rated" when hunting is really anything but continuous fire... I therefore went for one of these: http://www.dpteuro.co.uk/Products.html ( over barrel model ) in light alloy. still adds 4" to the OAL of the rifle but at half a pound feels like it's not there. It takes the ear sting out, which is all I want really, and so far has had 300 full house 3006 rounds through it with no real ill effects. Being modular I can always replace baffles if they get gas cut or you could opt for a stainless steel first blast baffle to take the majority of the abuse. Go for a reflex design ( I.e. overbarrel ) light alloy design that has been hard anodised in my opinion.

3. Try a case made for a muzzle loader or scoped shotgun, plenty out there.

4. We can get atv side scabbards big enough over here, I don't use one but I can try and find out which model it was I saw.

5. True, but then with the design of moderator I am talking about a 20" barrel handles like a 24" which isn't a massive difference. In the UK 18" barrelled 308s are very popular and the ballistics don't suffer at typical hunting ranges. Consider chopping a few inches off the barrel, nothing crazy something like 20" total. A 12" muzzle forward can and a 24" barrel is a hell of a long rifle for anything, let alone stand hunting.

6. Any chance of a picture? The harris bipod has a rear mounted attachment point for slings which works very well for muzzle down carry:

Facing to the rear and down it works very well.

Persevere, it can feel a little odd at first but one does get used to it and the advantages of being able to hear the bullet strike at close range, not have to wear ear defenders, reduce disturabnce in the area, etc, etc are all very much worth having.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Larry, how long are the barrels you're using and in what chambering?

ghubert's mention of a reflex suppressor would help, but that style isn't common here.

Griffin makes one; I'm not sure who else makes them here.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Larry, how long are the barrels you're using and in what chambering?

ghubert's mention of a reflex suppressor would help, but that style isn't common here.

Griffin makes one; I'm not sure who else makes them here.

George

It is a 300 Win Mag made by Rifles, Inc. I don't know the length. it doesn't strike me as particularly long.

I am headed out of town. I will check when I return.

It was VERY difficult to use in commercially available stands. Granted I added the fabric on the tripods. Moving the gun on either was damn near impossible unless I was fine with bumping walls and/or getting caught in the nets.

I love the lower noise level. I shot one hog yesterday with full power loads. The deer did not run. The other hogs were back in a couple of minutes. I hammered another. I cannot imagine that happening without a suppressor. On other hand, if I had to shoot out the sides, I could forget it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
Larry,
I literally just got mine for a .300 Blackout this week.
I was planning on shooting a few does and maybe some pigs with it (other than of course general fun)
Why do you not believe it to be practical? (I was reading the other thread related to this)
Is it because of the type of projectile?

My 300 Blackout is the Ruger American. it has a short barrel. I have ZERO problems with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I have one my .300 WM that has a 25" barrel. I like the added weight on the end to help me hold it still. It is definitely "weight forward" now, but I really do not care much about that. I have one an AR15 that really makes that thing shoot better.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to cans, the devil is in the details.

You really have to plan the rifle around the can and be realistic in what you expect...weight, length, bulk, heat, and so on.

I love suppressors...but they can make things more complicated. On gas guns, they will increase bolt speed and pressure. They get dirty...you must clean more. They shift your POI in most cases. They get stupid hot and will burn you and your gear.

But...they keep that EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound from being your constant friend for life.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Are they worth it?

Of course they are. After all they're the latest trendy thing to put on your rifle so if you want to be cool you just got to get one.

Kind of like a guy who was shooting next to me at the range recently. His new .270 had a muzzle brake in it so it was "easier" to shoot. faint

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't have any of the problems you're talking about. Why is the 300blk not a practical hunting caliber? It is nearly as powerful as a 30-30 with 125 grain bullets.

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranb40:
quote:

I don't have any of the problems you're talking about. Why is the 300blk not a practical hunting caliber? It is nearly as powerful as a 30-30 with 125 grain bullets.

Personal preference I suppose. The Blackout is very weak compared to what I typically use. I don't want to have to follow animals. Some of the area in incredibly difficult. Really bad swamps. I would not take the chance on deer. I would head shoot hogs, but not deer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Think of it as waiting for your taxidermy from a safari; it's expensive, takes a ridiculously long time, but once you get it you forget about all that crap and enjoy it.

To each his own, every time I look at one of the mounted heads I regret spending the money for it. Cost nearly as much as the hunt for my son and I.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lockingblock:
When it comes to cans, the devil is in the details.

You really have to plan the rifle around the can and be realistic in what you expect...weight, length, bulk, heat, and so on.

I love suppressors...but they can make things more complicated. On gas guns, they will increase bolt speed and pressure. They get dirty...you must clean more. They shift your POI in most cases. They get stupid hot and will burn you and your gear.

But...they keep that EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound from being your constant friend for life.

I hate that friend!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought about getting one since the approval of a Chief Law Enforcement officer is no long needed, between you and ATF. Some friends have them but always complaining about them for one reason or the other, so not for me.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Having used suppressors for 40+ years-

I do not find the cumbersome- rather , nearly indispensable-

I hunt with them for game and varmints-

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Good stuff
As simple as that

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:

1- The balance is gone.

You can cut a heck of a lot off of a 300 Win barrel and still have a lot of round. Someone above alluded to the main point that a rifle and can need to be treated as a system and not just the sum of the parts and I learned that the same way you just did. Fortunately I have big blinds for the 28" (before suppressor) 300 Weatherby.

But I also cut a 308 Win down to 14.75 inches and permanently attached my adapter for 16.25 inch barrel before the suppressor. That's my "truck gun". I really don't have trajectory issues to 300 yds with 130 gr TTSX bullets.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Never had one. But just looking at them I can understand the issues you discuss. Aesthetically they are repulsive. I do care about hearing loss, of which I deal with. I feel a nice pair of blast silencing, hearing enhancing ear plugs is the way to go. Now if the "silencers" worked like they do in movies it would be a whole new animal but they don't even come close.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until recently the Sheriff of each county had final say on whether you could own a silencer or not, but that has all changed and now it is between you and the ATFE, no local laws apply. Gave some thought to one, but decided not worth the money and effort. I use ear plugs at the range and hunting I rarely pay any attention to the noise of the gun.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the requirements to legally own a suppressor?

Posts: 179 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
  • You must be a U.S. citizen
  • You cannot be a 'prohibited person'
  • You must be old enough to own a firearm
  • They must be legal to own in your state
  • You must submit the proper form and pay a tax of $200

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do I get the proper form?

Posts: 179 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir

posted Hide Post
You're welcome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have one suppressed sporting rifle here on the farm, a 10/22 Ruger with an integral AWC suppressor coupled with 25 round stick mags, I use it for pests, have had it for more than 20 years, and you bet, they're worth the trouble.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking only for myself, have no use for most if not all of the gimmicks out there.

As I have aged I reluctantly have been using a muzzle brake on one of my guns..Hell I don't even like a scope bigger than 4X as a rule, but I don't deny anyone the use of these thingies! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Speaking only for myself, have no use for most if not all of the gimmicks out there.

As I have aged I reluctantly have been using a muzzle brake on one of my guns..Hell I don't even like a scope bigger than 4X as a rule, but I don't deny anyone the use of these thingies! rotflmo

How is your hearing after all these years if shooting and hunting ?

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Many of the shops that sell suppressors will also walk you through the 'trust' process.That is an important clause.Short way around the barn. if you have a trust + your kids are members then they can get it on your death. If not, then ATF just takes it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:

1- The balance is gone.

You can cut a heck of a lot off of a 300 Win barrel and still have a lot of round. Someone above alluded to the main point that a rifle and can need to be treated as a system and not just the sum of the parts and I learned that the same way you just did. Fortunately I have big blinds for the 28" (before suppressor) 300 Weatherby.

But I also cut a 308 Win down to 14.75 inches and permanently attached my adapter for 16.25 inch barrel before the suppressor. That's my "truck gun". I really don't have trajectory issues to 300 yds with 130 gr TTSX bullets.

I am not real keen on cutting the barrel on a $12,000 rifle.

On my 300 Blackout, it is great. Same with one of my ARs. On other rifles, I will take my ear plugs.

posted Hide Post
Larry,

Consider a reflex-style can. They screw on like the other style, but extend back over the barrel and reduce the overall length of the suppressed rifle.

AMTAC (CQB 762) and CZ-USA (CZ Ti Reflex) are two companies making them here, and those are rated for .300 Win. Mag.

George