Find
Notify
Tools

another problem - NICS issue
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Ordered a suppressor 9 months ago from a gun shop in Salida, Colorado (300 mile roundtrip from where I live). Recently notified that the ATF paperwork arrived and I made plans to make the trip to pick the unit up. However, the shop advised me that I couldn't take it home with me due to the backlog of NICS checks. They explained that it's been taking up to three days so I'd have to come back to pick the unit up. Good news is my NICS check is good for up to 30 days so I have a decent size window for a return trip.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Is this a CO rule?
The 4473 plainly states in area 20 .

20. No NICS check was required because a background check was completed during the NFA approval process on the individual who will receive the NFA firearm(s), as reflected on the approved NFA application. (See Instructions for Question 20.)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The FFL holder may not understand the rules.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I got the suppressor. The stores lawyer had advised them to do it that way. The owner and employees eventually got the lawyer to stand down because of the #20 statement.

Doing a NICS check would have been no big deal (10 or 15 minutes) pre Covid 19 rush.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
They need a new lawyer that can READ,
not just the 4473 ,
but the CFR with respect to this as well.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
INDEED! too many people getting paid for inept behavior. Matt, glad you got your can!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote