New
Find
Notify
Tools

silencers are now legal in Minnesota
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just heard on the radio this morning that Minnesota has repealed the ban on silencers, joining 39 other states that allow them.
Still need a permit and tax stamp, but now I can stop dreaming about it and look into this more seriously.
Can they be used for multiple calibers, such as using a 30 cal can on a 22?
I would like to be able to use it on more than one gun.

Posts: 273 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You can use a .30 cal. suppressor on smaller caliber rifles for the most part, but you will need different adapters.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think it is law. As I understand it, the bill passed the state House, and now needs to pass the State Senate and have the Governor sign off.

Its progressing, but not there. The state house is controlled by the GOP, the rest by the DFL... while not impossible, I would consider passage this term unlikely.

All the suppressors I have ever seen are bullet diameter specific, but as I live in MN it has not been a great deal of exposure to them, just mil and LE stuff.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odies dad:

The situation is both simple and complicated. The short answer is that, yes, you can use a 7.62 suppressor on a smaller caliber rifle.

The long answer is that suppressors are rated for or limited by both maximum bullet size and maximum powder ( gas volume, actually ) capacity. They may also be limited by their muzzle attachment device, if any. They may also be limited by bullet type and barrel length.

As an example, an AAC 762-SDN-6 suppressor might be rated for the .308 Winchester / 7.62 NATO cartridge and for barrels of 12 inches or longer only. When this suppressor is used for the .300 Blackout, also a 7.62 caliber cartridge, the rated minimum barrel length is 7". This suppressor is not rated for the .300 WM, also a 7.62 cartridge, but one with an unacceptably large powder supply ( gas volume ). In almost all cases, you can use a smaller cartridge with an equivalent gas volume in place of a larger caliber cartridge. Thus, a .308 rated suppressor can be used for a 7-08, a .260 a .243, .22-250 or a 5.56. A .257 Weatherby, while a much smaller caliber than a .308 is not acceptable because the .257 Wby case has a much higher powder supply than a .308 case and thus a larger gas volume.

But wait, there's more ...

The suppressor above is not rated for lead bullets as it cannot be disassembled. Therefore, you cannot use it on a .22 RF or similar cartridges, nor may you use it with cast bullets. You must also deal with attaching your moderator to the barrel of your firearm. The two basic methods are direct thread ( what it sounds like ) and some form of proprietary QD device, usually a flash hider or brake. The two most common and standard threadings are 1/2x28 and 5/8x24, which correspond to the standard threading of the AR15 and AR10 rifles respectively. 1/2x28 devices are usually but not always .224 caliber. 5/8x24 devices are usually but not always .308 caliber. Direct thread suppressors may or may not have adaptors allowing the use of both 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 thread pitches. QD devices may have safety features preventing the attachment of .224 suppressors to .308 QD units ( for obvious reasons ).

In the real world, most of this is very simple if you're shooting AR15 or AR10 rifles. Most 6.8 SPC barrels will have 5/8x24 threading allowing the attachment of 7.62 devices and disallowing the attachment of 5.56 devices. The 6.5 Grendel is a little odd in that the factory uppers have a 9/16x24 thread pitch so you'll have to be sure the suppressor manufacturer makes an appropriate adaptor. Sporting rifles are more complicated in that you will not be able to use a 5/8x24 thread on many thin sporter barrels. Before you buy, make sure that you can attach your suppressor to your rifle barrel, as the ability to do so is not a given.

Going back to your original question: how do I use the same suppressor for a deer rifle and a varmint rifle? Make sure that both rifles have similar barrel profiles large enough to take a 5/8x24 thread and things should be pretty painless. In a few cases you may be able to find 1/2x28 pitch .308 devices; again, be sure the barrel diameter is appropriate for the selected moderator.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odies dad:
Just heard on the radio this morning that Minnesota has repealed the ban on silencers, joining 39 other states that allow them.

Not even close. HF 1434 has passed the House 89-40, but still has to make it through the Senate and get signed (or not signed) by the governor. Things are looking good though. HF 1434 is now supposed to be part of the omnibus safety bill HF 849, or so I've heard.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bil...y=2015&ssn=0&b=house
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bil...y=2015&ssn=0&b=house Omnibus bill data not updated yet though.

quote:
Still need a permit and tax stamp, but now I can stop dreaming about it and look into this more seriously.

No permit required, just the tax stamp. In addition to easing restrictions, HF 1434 would make MN one of the few states that requires the local sheriff to sign off on stamp applications for law abiding residents. It is still better to use a trust and avoid the signature, photos and fingerprints. Also allows multiple owners of the can.
quote:

Yes they can, +1 what analog_peninsula said. People commonly use a 30 cal can for 223, or 9mm for 22lr. I visit MN twice a year, it will be nice to shoot subsonic suppressed in my mom's field without bothering the neighbors.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HF 849 has finally been updated at https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bil...b=house&y=2015&ssn=0 ]HF 849 status
The 2nd engrossment can be read here; Hf 849 2nd engrossment

It is on its 2nd reading and hopefully is passed this week and goes on to the Senate. HF 1434 is still in the Senate Judiciary where I expect it will stay until it dies as it is now part of the omnibus HF 849 and will be passed that way instead.

Ranb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We need to have the onerous Federal Burden removed. All the paperwork, taxes, BATF oversight is ridiculous for a muffler. Guns are loud, they are annoying, and the muzzle blast is a health hazard. I have hearing problems due to weapons being fired behind me, when I did not have hearing protection on. The word silencer is a misnomer as the 9mm silenced machine gun I heard sounded like a weed whacker. The noise was greatly reduced, but it was not silenced. Perhaps there are very low noise cartridges, like .22LR out of a match barrel, and subsonic that would be totally quiet, and that would be great. Low noise levels are good.

The Federal Agency whose funding and manpower is justified by the current system would push back against a total legalization of silencers, but, so what, Federal Agencies ought not be job programs for idiots.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SF 878 passed 119 to 20. Since there were amendments to the bill, those changes have to be worked out in committee.

Ranb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We need to have the onerous Federal Burden removed.

Yes we do!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Passed both houses with >2/3 majority. Since it is the end of the session on Monday it is unlikely to be voted on again if the governor vetoes the bill.

Ranb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Governor Dayton had previously threatened to veto any silencer bill, but this morning signed SF878, an omnibus safety bill into law.

It has several gun control provisions in addition to easing the strict controls on silencer use by the police and allowing civilian possession. The Governor will no longer have the authority to seize firearms during a state of emergency. CCW holders will no longer need to provide notification to the Commissioner of Public Safety to carry at the MN State Capitol complex. Reciprocity for CCW is changed and MN law will be clarified concerning purchase of long guns in other states.

Ranb