Find
Notify
Tools

Suppressors
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,
Can you tell me what is the actual difference in sound? Not just for the shooter but for someone downrange a bit? For ex. with a 223 Rem..what can I expect? This is for a Blaser R93 in 223 Rem, barrel 22"...I think it is a factory made suppressor, in any case European. Also, is any cleaning required? If so, how does one go about it?

Regards
Esskay

posted Hide Post
There is no change in sound downrange; the reduction occurs at the muzzle only.

Many suppressor ("sound moderator" elsewhere) will provide the amount of decibel reduction if asked.

If the suppressor is user-serviceable, the composition of the tube and baffles will dictate the cleaning method (ultrasonic vs. solvents).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

The suppressor does not have a name on it but seems to be well made, i.e. the various pieces screw on very nicely. However, the baffles seem to be greasy (it's been fired a bit) so I was wondering if cleaning would improve performance.It is made of steel and is quite heavy. We have 2 of the same type, one on a .22 LR and the other one on a .223 Rem
Regards
Saeed

One of Us
posted Hide Post
over here in the uk suppressors or moderators are in fashion. Yes they reduce the boom but you still get a good crack, and if taking several shots you do still need hearing protection. On a 223, its about the sound of an un moderated 22rf. You do though pay a big penalty in have an unsightly lump at the end of the barrel. Moderate rifles are just cumbersome and awkward and I the trade off between noise reduction and poor handling is for me not sufficient. Many moderated rifles have their barrels cut down to 18 to 20" so of course are very noisy without. But have a proper 24 r 26" length barrel and most rifles are pleasant to shoot without a moderator.

There some lightweight titanium moderators on the market but they still weight 200g - thats nearly half a pound stuck on the end of the barrel.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
223 (or other rifle caliber) suppressor for supersonic use is not likely to be user serviceable and one usually does not clean them. 22 LR cans are often user serviceable. The kind of cleaning depends on the materials of construction. If the baffle stack is stainless steel they can be cleaned by wet tumbling with pins or with a solution of acetic acid and hydrogen peroxide. The latter forms lead acetate which is water soluble but VERY toxic. The lead should be precipitated as an insoluble salt such as lead chloride and not flushed into the environment!

The blast noise resulting from gasses released as flash at the muzzle is very significantly reduced by a suppressor. The sonic boom of the projectile traveling down range above the speed of sound is not at all changed.

Game seems to be confused about the source location of suppressed supersonic gunfire.

The cumbersome nature of suppressed rifles is eased by shorter barrels and light weight suppressors with titanium construction. Suppressor makers will usually provide suggestions as to what minimum barrel lengths their products will support.

Heavy duty suppressors used for very short barrels or full auto fire are often made with stainless steel tubes, and blast chambers and baffles made from inconel or stellite. Tend to be heavy.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Isn't grease used to help moderate sound and first round pop?

posted Hide Post
Water or wire-pulling gel (my preference, ,as it stays in place better).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful with wire pulling gel and other types of lubricants. Some are water based and are not designed to prevent rust and can actually cause corrosion.

Most any auto grease works but only in moderation, unless you like a grease shower.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have not seen it to be common to run a center fire rifle suppressor "wet." I suspect that's a no-no!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I don't bother when shooting supersonic rifle ammunition through a suppressor, but do so when using subsonic ammunition (e.g., .300 BLK).

George