New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger American Threaded Muzzle in CA?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm puzzled; reading the rules I can't determine whether a Ruger American with a threaded muzzle in 22 LR is legal to possess in California or not. I've heard some opinions on the matter, inconclusive and none of them based on statutes. There is an attorney who specializes in firearms law, charges $360 an hour with a 15-minute minimum. Emailing the DOJ hasn't produced a reply (why am I not surprised?). Now, what...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14363 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bolt-actions can have threaded barrels. See the CA Assault Weapon Identification Guide on the CA DOJ site.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Bolt-actions can have threaded barrels. See the CA Assault Weapon Identification Guide on the CA DOJ site.

George

Hi George

I did see that guide, which seems specific to pistols and centerfire autoloading rifles. Other places in the statutes ban silencers for civilian possession, and I am wondering if there statutes that could be interpreted to ban threaded muzzles for bolt-action rimfire rifles. I did the search in the DOJ website and it did not come up with anything else; it appears that a threaded muzzle on a rimfire rifle might be legal if the things threaded onto it are legal (like a benchrest barrel weight if it doesn't reduce the report to a level that would attract the attention of DOJ).

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14363 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, and remember, 'muzzle brakes' are legal but 'flash hiders' aren't. Roll Eyes

BTW, there are many suppressors (and other Class III items) in CA; they must have grandfathered them in.

Is there no gun rights organization in CA that might provide some guidance?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi George

I don't know much yet, calgunlaws.com may be of some help, although their FAQs don't address the issue.

ARA unlimited class benchrest 22s have tuners that are clamped, not sure if that's a factor or not.

TomP

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Yes, and remember, 'muzzle brakes' are legal but 'flash hiders' aren't. Roll Eyes

BTW, there are many suppressors (and other Class III items) in CA; they must have grandfathered them in.

Is there no gun rights organization in CA that might provide some guidance?

George

I finally got a response from California DOJ to the emails. Apparently there are no more skunks in the woodpile, the assault weapons law is the only one and rimfires aren't included. Suppressors are banned in another part of the California Penal Code.

You can get in trouble by screwing the wrong thing onto a threaded rimfire barrel, but not just having it threaded.

TomP