New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which .22 for a suppressor?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a sig suppressor for a .22. Now, I need a rifle or/and pistol for it.

What would you suggest?

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you want a bolt-action rifle, look for a CZ 455 threaded . Or, buy the B22 FV-SR . Inexpensive and accurate, according to user reports.

For an autoloader, a 10/22 with a Tactical Solutions SB-X barrel is my favorite.

For a handgun, look for a Ruger 22/45 Lite . I have the Mark III version and it is a joy to carry and shoot.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,
THanks!
I will get the Rugers.

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You're welcome.

I like the TacSol SB-X barrel as its 12" length reduces velocity so the can can work. Wink

IUf you buy a Mark IV 22/45, be aware that there is a safety recall out on them.

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I take the view that a suppressed .22 is a hunting tool for use with subsonic ammunition for where discretion is the most important thing.

On that basis I say get a bolt action rifle as these are as close to silent with subsonic ammunition as it's possible to get; just a click from the firing pin and the sound of the round impacting the target.

The advantage here is that subsonic ammunition, especially the Eley and RWS hollowpoints, is generally more accurate than the high velocity stuff. With a .22 there is so little practical difference between the loadings that accuracy wins out in my opinion.

With a semi automatic be aware that more gas and dirt seems to come back into the action, requiring more frequent cleaning, and they are not nearly so silent.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the UK we all use 22 with moderators on. With Subsonics and bolt action the thwack of the bullet against target and firing pin are what make the noise, along with the action of the bolt. A semi such as the Ruger 10/22 still makes quite a bit of noise as beign a blow back action you get a lot of noise from the gases coming out of the action.

Default bunny bashing rifle is the Brno / CZ 22 rimfire with a 20 or 16" barrel and moderator, or if you are feeling a bit more flush, the the Anchutz 1417.

I ave an old BRNO Mod 2 and its sub 1" all day long at 60 yds with 22 subsonics, - either Eley or RWS.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My 10/22s will not cycle the CCI 'Quiet' subsonics at approximately 710fps, so it is as quiet as shooting from a bolt-action or single-shot.

George.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Can I reverse the question for you guys? I have a CZ455 and would like to suppress it. What's a good, reasonably priced suppressor?

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There are many. I bought a Q El Camino and should have it shortly as the Form 4 was approved a week ago. My Gemtech Outback II is nice but I should have bought the II-D.

Get one that is direct thread (no costly adapters) and user-serviceable! This allows for easier cleaning. Aluminum and titanium are lightest, but a steel can isn't that heavy if it is small.

George

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
Can I reverse the question for you guys? I have a CZ455 and would like to suppress it. What's a good, reasonably priced suppressor?

A .22 Long rifle hardly needs much suppression at all.

Basically anything will do the job with subsonic ammunition (Stay away from the really slow CB like stuff as they are crap on game) and make very little difference with supersonic ammunition.

This is very popular and works as well as anything: https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airg...-steel-silencer/2410

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some might say that the ultimate quiet .22RF hunting rifle was the BSA Ralock in .22 Short as the thing caught its own cases...they didn't eject into the long grass.

But it was a PITA to check if it was clear, safe and empty after firing. Essentially you have to take the thing apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulo1vjqby5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8quMWR_4Gk

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
Some might say that the ultimate quiet .22RF hunting rifle was the BSA Ralock in .22 Short as the thing caught its own cases...they didn't eject into the long grass.

But it was a PITA to check if it was clear, safe and empty after firing. Essentially you have to take the thing apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulo1vjqby5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8quMWR_4Gk

And was possibly the most unreliable and difficult to repair .22 semi auto made at the time?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:

PH is what I use.john

https://www.google.com/url?sa=...ZgZ6m-GeTOtCA5Lk5IqP

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote