New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning a sealed rim fire supressor?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have 90’s vintage integrally suppressed Ruger 22/45.
The unit is a Gemtech Quantum.
I called Gemtech today, and basically was told to consider it disposable. Sealed unit, no recommended cleaning procedure other than a bore snake!
It’s still quiet, but after a few thousand rounds it would seem desirable to get some of the build up of carbon that must be in there!
It has aluminum baffles, so ultrasonic is out. The unit is old enough that S&W didn’t get schematics when they bought the company, so Gemtech can’t even tell me if there are any seals or parts that might be damaged by solvents.
That pistol is my go-to plinker. “Disposable firearm” does not compute for me. Any suggestions?

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My best suggestion is to have someone 'jailbreak' it.

Depending upon whether the end caps are merely Loc-Tited together or welded, it might be as simple as chucking each end into a lathe (headpiece and spider), and slowly turning the can.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
If it were mine I would plug the end , fill it with electrical contact cleaner or similar , let it soak for a while , agitate it considerably , pour out whatever comes out then repeat the process as many times as I could be bothered.

The contact cleaner will evaporate and leave no residue to speak of .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just use powder solvent.

Any oil left over will, soon burn off beside a little oil will dampen sound while it lasts.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Soaking it in Kerosene of Ed's Red might help to loosen it up. Then try some typle of solvent or cleaner and do what muzza suggested.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you have a sonic cleaner, put it in there.

That what we do here.

So m8ch junk comes out of them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66759 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that you can’t use ultrasonic with aluminum baffles.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Plenty of good suggestions, my first thought would probably be very hot or boiling water long as there are no plastic or rubber wipes inside. I wouldn't be concerned with getting it spotless, just reasonably clean.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
My understanding is that you can’t use ultrasonic with aluminum baffles.

Why??

Posts: 66759 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparently you can with certain constraints.

https://www.kemet.co.uk/blog/c...g/cleaning-aluminium

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, we have a large cleaning tank, and we clean everything in it.

Including aluminium sound moderators!

Never had a problem.

We generally use WD40 as cleaning agent.

This is done to avoid using water with some agent, because some parts we cannot open completely, and to avoid getting corroding agents - water - inside.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gemtech seems like a company I don't ever want to deal with.

I would soak it in a mix of ATF and acetone or mineral spirits.The biggest worry isn't carbon build up but lead. Most solvents don't do a good job at dissolving lead and the ones that do aren't particularly friendly to aluminum. I doubt it's possible to get it hot enough to melt the lead out without otherwise damaging something.

Jailbreaking is a thought if you have a SOT nearby who can do it.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 108 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Many ultrasound units will damage aluminum, some severely.

Actually, the increased carbon buildup in 22 rimfire cans tends to make them quieter to a point.

The roughened shape of the deposits on the internal surfaces, not only increases surface area , but additionally has some sound dampening capacity of its own.

Past a certain point it may become detrimental.

In the past rimfire cans in general were considered expendable items.(not just GemTech)

Now many manufacturers produce take-a-part/ cleanable cans.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a sealed unit I would fill it up with your favorite solvent and let it sit for a day then flush it and hit it with plenty of compressed air.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Ultrasonic will damage aluminum?

Just use aluminum compatible cleaning fluid!

Ultrasonic cleaning is for example used for aluminum made carburetors or injection units.

We use this: https://www.sonoswiss.ch/filea...tinfo_SW-C_T3_GB.pdf
Contains inhibitors protecting amphoteric metals (aluminium).

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger MKIII with integral suppressor made by SSK. JD Jones told me when I bought it to use only a wire brush in the suppressor every 200 rounds. I've done that for 6 years. Shot good enough to kill 3 rockchucks in ID last month at 99 yds. with subsonic ammo

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote