New
Find
Notify
Tools

Point of impact and suppressors
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any rule of thumb on approx change in point of impact as I go from unsuppressed to suppressed. Trying to figure if I should sight in on the regular range or plinking range.

Blaser 308 with a silencerco omega.

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike, I have muzzle cans on everything I own from .22lr on up and the POI change is different on each depending on the can weight, barrel stiffness and MV I guess.

I’ve never found any rule of thumb, but I honestly can’t remember the last time I shot without the can. On the very odd occasions I go to a range I have to hunt aboutto find a set of ear defenders.

Posts: 7144 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything that changes barrel harmonics will change POI, and every barrel is different.

You may not even get repeating results when taking a suppressor on and off unless it's well marked so it can be indexed with precision.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a new project for us here.

We have several rifles with suppressors.

I will try them with and without andpost the results.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66854 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Perfect

I am going to do the same next week or week after with a threaded 308 blaser.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Perfect

Mike

Are you using reduced loads for your suppressor?

I am not sure yet how to go about this test.

My intention is to use loads I have developed for these rifles, and shoot them with and without the suppressor, noting the change in point of impact.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66854 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Perfect

Mike

Are you using reduced loads for your suppressor?

I am not sure yet how to go about this test.

My intention is to use loads I have developed for these rifles, and shoot them with and without the suppressor, noting the change in point of impact.

I am just going to shoot factory hornady match ammo. Using an silencerco omega suppressor.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The suppressor will change your POI at 100 yds using the same ammo. Usually low and either left or right a little.

Suppressors are good for noise suppression but will affect poi and the more subsonic you get the more POI shift you will encounter. The added weight and length change balance and handling characteristics of the firearm.

True suppression using heavy bullets at subsonic velocity will have huge drop at 100 yds. To add to the problem the heavier bullet used at lower velocity will require a different twist rate to stabilize. The lower the velocity the more need for heavier bullets to get any real bullet energy. Add to that the problem with low velocity bullet expansion and the problems get worse.

There are tradeoffs with anything. Muzzle brakes essentially do the same thing for recoil suppression at the expense of muzzle blast and noise. They don't change the POI quite as much because they don't weigh as much.

Shooting suppressed you are just going to have more variables to deal with. The sound suppression is very good though.

Here in the USA our government is conflicted by media hype and Hollywood stupidity concerning suppressors. The movies all depict true sound suppression of large caliber weapons. Surprisingly not many people ask or wonder why that is. They just take for granted that is the truth about suppression when in fact it is a huge misrepresentation. The cartridges they are suppressing don't have bullets. They are shooting blanks so it is pretty easy to get good sound mitigation.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the Omega and 3 rifles threaded for it. Every one of them shoots differently when the suppressor is screwed on. My 22-250 only changes about 3/4" and it moves straight down. The other two rifles move 2-4 inches. I just leave them sighted in for use with the suppressor.

Posts: 4 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took the Blaser 308 threaded barrel out with the omega.

Was a blast to shoot. Suppressed the recoil was 50 percent and my ears liked it.

Hornady match shot well as it lake city military ammo. The rifle did not like Winchester match.

The barrel initially shot high with suppressor. I was expecting the opposite.

I will run a bunch of ammo thru and post results in next few weeks.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Every suppressor is different, and every cartridge is different, you will not be able to derive a rule of thumb for estimating the effect of the suppressor on point of impact.

When you do find an instance of no change of point of impact (at all ranges to the target?) will it be the exception? I bring it up since there is a Ruger .22LR pistol at our range which shows no change of POI at 15 meters. Is that proof of anything?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear this stuff all the time, but if your talking muzzle brakes, most everyone Ive had shot to the same POI with or without the brake on..I have built a number of custom rifles with brakes and thread protectors, range tested them before sending them out an only one or two showed any change and it was just a little up or down, and I can live with that.

Ive bought and sold a number of Ruger Africans and they now come with take off brake, thread protector and a weight that makes them shoot to the same POI,,I have never needed the weight, got a bunch of them in my junk box..some Ive given away, but still some in there.

Im confused, it just can't be luck on my part, the whole thing borders on a hoax and its passed from one person to another as fact..Just my experience with them..Im talking muzzle brakes only btw... Confused stir

Then again I remember when you couldn't shoot monolithic bullets in double guns, and shooting 4831 powder in a double would split the barrels and a number of other such claims over my 84 years that was just plain BS, much of which came from gunscribes in magazine and pass on as must be truths..when in fact it was human misunderstanding or whatever.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41787 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I think the original OP was asking about suppressors (aka silencers). Hanging 10-18 ozs. on the end of the barrel changes POI.

I usually (key word) see about 3-4 inches difference POI at 100 yards. And usually (there's that word again!) about 1-1.5" windage difference.

Your mileage may vary.

Posts: 3275 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote