THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM NIGHT VISION AND SILENCER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Nightvision And Silencers    Steer me towards the proper suppressor!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steer me towards the proper suppressor!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I could use some help getting the proper unit.
I intend to use it mainly for deer hunting. I expect to use subsonic ammo. I probably won’t buy a new gun in a watchamaycallit caliber.
I have available (all bolt action) an older savage in 06, a ruger compact in 08, and a Winchester 70 in 270.
Because of the barrel length I don’t think my 300 win mags would be appropriate.

I don’t need help in the nuts and bolts of the buying part.
I would like advice on brands and mounting types.

I tend to buy quality but at the same time I am not made of money

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Let me suggest a Thuderbeast 7" 30 cal or a Banish 30 from Silencer Central.

I tried going subsonic with a .308 but with mixed results. Ended up buying a Ruger American in 300 Blackout You're all-in for around ~450 and it comes threaded. Subsonic you are going to get the same 'power' from it as you will get from subsonic of the calibers you listed.

And the one I have shots outstanding even with the cheesy first generation stock. It is my designated subsonic rifle.

Otherwise get your Ruger Compact 308 threaded and have at it. I went with the 220 grain RN as the basis for my sub-sonic loads.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Thanks a million. Especially about the Ruger in 300 blackout. At $450 minus the $150 for threading brings that down to $300. I have was on AR about the Banish and probably will go that way.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Silencerco Omega 300. It’s an amazing can. I believe the top selling can period.

I have one that stays on a bolt action Mod 7 in 300 blk. It’s ridiculous how quiet it is. I call it “the pellet gun”, even though I’m convinced it’s quieter than a pellet gun.

Not cheap, but not expensive. Quality never is cheap. $800 or so, but the extra $ is worth it.

Consider the Hybrid 46 or Hybrid 46M. You can put it on anything from 45-70, 338 Lapua, 458 SOCOM, 5.56, 9mm, 45 ACP … just about anything 45 cal and smaller. Weight is a bit much for a pistol, but manageable.

You can use the smaller 45 omega or 9 omega but they don’t compare to the 300 Omega.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Silencerco Omega 300. It’s an amazing can. I believe the top selling can period.

I have one that stays on a bolt action Mod 7 in 300 blk. It’s ridiculous how quiet it is. I call it “the pellet gun”, even though I’m convinced it’s quieter than a pellet gun.

Not cheap, but not expensive. Quality never is cheap. $800 or so, but the extra $ is worth it.

Consider the Hybrid 46 or Hybrid 46M. You can put it on anything from 45-70, 338 Lapua, 458 SOCOM, 5.56, 9mm, 45 ACP … just about anything 45 cal and smaller. Weight is a bit much for a pistol, but manageable.

You can use the smaller 45 omega or 9 omega but they don’t compare to the 300 Omega.

+1

I have 2 silencerco omega and will probably buy another one and a omega 36.

Stick to known brands with large production of the can you want to buy.

Silencerco omega has mounts for even off the run European threads like m18x1.

Silencerco service is excellent.

I also have a silencerco harvester.

Only direct mount for hunting rifle applications.

Stay away from mounts and if you get mount get a geissele suppressor alignment gauge.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any good recommendations on a seller who could handle all the paperwork? Need one for a 7.62 Nato and want to keep it short.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Silencer Central. They make it simple.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Silencer Central. Bought a Banish 30. Put it on a Savage AxisII Compact in 300ACC. With subsonic ammo it just kind of goes phhttt!

Using Sierra 180 spritzers at 50yds just one ragged hole.
Shot a doe, DRT.
Shot a 9pt, trotted about 30yds fell over dead. I now have CEB 190’s that I will shoot Sunday

one of us
posted Hide Post
A few thoughts:

You are much better off with a 300 blackout than trying to load down bigger cartridges. It is tricky to get reliable subsonic loads in 308, 30-06 with the appropriate heavy bullets. There are case volume and stabilization issues. (I have done it a bunch).

Lots of good cans out there. Very few people own a variety from a bunch to different manufacturers to really compare, but stick to major brands

It will be easier to use a local dealer rather than silencer central. I keep hearing stories about delays from them (though in fairness, have not used them personally)

VERY IMPORTANT: Find a dealer who is set up for the new Form 4 efile. It is not yet certain what the turnarond time will be fore efile (90 days is promised) , but paper form 4's are taking a year at the moment.

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a couple SilencerCo Harvester 300's on everything from 20 cal to 300 win and I couldn't be happier. But honestly, there are so many good ones out there that I have not been around that I don't know what I don't know.

+1 on Silencer Central too. Super easy and ends up at my dealer locally when the stamp is all done.

+1 on the new efile also although I have not used it yet.

Zeke