Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Thermal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
For the price point this could be interesting.

https://www.leupold.com/huntin...mal/lto/lto-tracker/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That'll definitely be one to keep your eyes on.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I played with one at the RMEF Elk Christmas in Vegas. Small but very cool. I was surprised that people walking on the carpet would leave heat signatures where they stepped. I didn't expect that considering they were all wearing shoes Big Grin

These devices will probably end the hobby of crop-dusting public places Wink

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just received one last week. Really neat....walking through the house, one can see where all the heat is entering the house.

Can get you one for $589 shipped (CONUS) if interrested. ....PM me.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Now thats just neater than socks on a rooster. I'll keep your offer in mind.Thanks,R.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Refurbished units available for $400 at Midway

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...totracker-_-20170616

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Leupold Thermal and thought it to be a waste of money. All the surrounding areas, even early in the morning, showed heat signature on all the plants and on the trees. It was not a worthwhile investment.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The guy running the local gun shop let me take one out of the box and try it out in and out of the store. I wasn't impressed.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
played around with one today - not worth much, couldn't find a signature of 3 horses about 200 yds away. kinda like having 1st gen night vision

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For me, the biggest turn off is trying to change batteries. The thing opens in the middle, but it doesn't come apart--it's held by a little circuit card that will break the first time you try it in the field with cold fingers. I think the cheapest FLIR may be better, but it has a low frame rate (9/sec) and an internal rechargeable battery.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a LTO for about a year.
I am too a little underwhelmed by the scope at distances. That said I have used it only for killing skunks and pigeons. In this picture you can see a couple pigeons roosting on a beam in a shed. If pigeons are roosting and leaning against the steel I can see the heat through the steel.

That shed has lights on all the time. What we do is turn the lights off then go in and shoot the pigeons to get rid of them. I use the LTO tracker to find them in the dark. Then we turn on the light and shoot them before they can fly. Here is a video of a pigeon shoot.

https://youtu.be/q9maYtZ59Rc

I also use the LTO for killing skunks on the neighbors place. They live under the buildings then come over to my house and the dogs kill them. My place stinks all the time. So what I did was bait the skunks with dog food over by their den. In this picture you can see the shed. To the left of the shed you can see a thistle weed and a fence.

I was spreading the dog food so the skunks had to search a bit to find the food. This took the focus off me and on the food. So I watched the skunk feed making sure the head was facing me. Then I had my wife turn on a flashlight and I shot him in the head.

In this picture you can see the fence and the weed that was on the picture above.

I haven't tried it yet for tracking killed game. I am sure it would work pretty well. Like others have said about everything will send a signal of heat. It takes some playing with to get good with them.
I paid way too much for this. This is a 200 to 300 dollar unit at best. But live and learn.
That said I think it has a place in my hunting gear and I carry it with me often.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good flashlight show up blood as good as anything else.

What happened to "hunting". at the rate were going all the deer will be killed from camp on a cell phone..I hate that! I really enjoy the hunt, the stalk, just being there, and my shooting skill even with iron sights, just my thoughts for myself.. I have a lot of respect for those that hunt with bows and muzzle loaders and Ive done that too in my day to a lesser degree...I will never shoot at deer beyond 400 yards at the most, and seldom at that, and elk at another 100 if I must. If I wound I won't give up until I track the animal down,no matter what except on two occasions and that really upset me, I hated it both times, and later found both but too late.

Gimmicks are not my thing..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking a thermal attachment to your cell phone camera might come in handy tracking a wounded animal at night especially in the rain.

Need to find out what they cost.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually a flash light wont show up blood as well as something else. The fact is guys every year lose animals after they shoot them. Sometimes it is in the dark and they cant see. Sometimes the animal is just not losing blood and your down to tracks. The thermal optics like the LTO tracker can not be used for a sighting devise. They were designed to help a person recover game.
In this picture I placed my hand on the wall for a couple seconds. This picture was 10 minutes after I took my hand off.

everything holds heat differently. This deer mount shows what I mean.

This picture shows my foot prints on my kitchen floor.

My cat came in while I was taking pictures

This cow was about 40 yards.

Pigeons in the barn at 30 yards.

cows at about 70 yards.

Some might look at this as a gimmick and I get that. But it is one more thing to try before you lose an animal. I am not saying that I condone unethical practices like shooting farther than a hunter should. Or taking a risky shot. Everyone will lose an animal in their hunting time. It might be a pheasant or a buck of a lifetime. It happens to the best of us. All this does is give you one more thing to try. Ray, if I was with you the times you lost animals are you saying you would not let me try to track them with thermal because you don't like gimmicks? This doesn't change the stalk or the hunt. It changes the recovery.
Most of the time what I use this for is killing varmints like skunks and pigeons. I also take it camping with me. If I hear a bump in the night I look with this first. If someone was hiding in some brush in the dark near camp I could see them with this.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Ron---Have you considered traps for the skunks? I have trapped several in my back yard. Even though I live in the city, the first one I shot while I was in my house. This caused a stink. Here, animal control will remove them. They just walk up to the trap and have a syringe on about a 3 foot long stick. They hold the needle against the skunk and the skunk leans into it. This shot puts skunk to sleep. They change syringes and give the sleeping skunk a second shot which kills it. They put on a rubber glove and remove skunk and are done--takes less than 5 minutes.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Idaho Ron---Have you considered traps for the skunks? I have trapped several in my back yard. Even though I live in the city, the first one I shot while I was in my house. This caused a stink. Here, animal control will remove them. They just walk up to the trap and have a syringe on about a 3 foot long stick. They hold the needle against the skunk and the skunk leans into it. This shot puts skunk to sleep. They change syringes and give the sleeping skunk a second shot which kills it. They put on a rubber glove and remove skunk and are done--takes less than 5 minutes.

The city brought out a trap once when we thought we had dog in our garbage. They caught a big skunk. The city said they would not take care of it. But it was their trap. Eventually they called an exterminator to come take care of it. The guy shot it and it sprayed all over the house.
I ended up hunting them and trapping them. It took me several years but I never had to kill one this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here a deer not found until the next day would be 50-50 at best, of being in one piece.
Coyotes are quick on any blood trail, and a few coyotes will leave you nothing but some bones and a paunch.
I could see it being useful on occasion.