New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR v/s bolt rifle noise level?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do you guys notice any difference in the noise level with suppressed subsonic loads in an AR 300 Blackout versus a bolt rifle with the same ammo??

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The AR is louder to the ear because of the action noise (bolt carrier & buffer spring motion) and gas escaping the ejection port.

You have to listen for it, though.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I expected that was the case but wanted a second opinion. I'm going to dedicate a night vision scope to a suppressed 300 blackout for hog hunting. I was thinking a bolt gun for minimum noise but an AR would be nice for possible multiple shots. I shoot an AR now but have never shot a suppressed blackout in a bolt gun so I have no first hand knowledge.

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can quit down the spring-buffet noise next to your ear...with a Jp Buffer Spring....

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nimrod308:
I expected that was the case but wanted a second opinion. I'm going to dedicate a night vision scope to a suppressed 300 blackout for hog hunting. I was thinking a bolt gun for minimum noise but an AR would be nice for possible multiple shots. I shoot an AR now but have never shot a suppressed blackout in a bolt gun so I have no first hand knowledge.

Get a bolt.

I have a 300 blackout ruger American with a timney trigger. It is a blast to shoot with subsonic ammo.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
just remember
a 300 BO 200 gr is really just little more than a 45acp +P in a more aerodynamic package

keep you range short for anything above 120- 150# , unless you are just killin
and not into recovery on a regular basis

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
just remember
a 300 BO 200 gr is really just little more than a 45acp +P in a more aerodynamic package

keep you range short for anything above 120- 150# , unless you are just killin
and not into recovery on a regular basis

+1

Very true.

I mainly shoot it on the plinking range or 50 yard range. I would not hunt with a subsonic 300 blackout.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
What George said ...
We where on a hunting trip, and the place had a formal range -- 300 blackout in bolt and AR .. both with cans.

the ar sounded like a springer air rifle, the bolt gun sounded like a loud fart

NEITHER could be heard from the down range spotter, we had to signal him that a round had been fired.. now, that he's was largely deaf didn't help...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as a point of interest - the sten in wwII did use a supressor in the hands of the oss - the bolt was changed to brass/bronze to deaden the mechanical sound and changed to only allow semi auto fire - the results with subsonic ammo are quite revealing

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
Cant speak on an AR but comparing a suppressed semi auto shotgun with a non auto the difference is very noticeable.

The action noise/moving parts on the semi auto make it very much more noisy than the manual load, that latter being very quiet at more than a few feet distance.

Posts: 7159 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote