Find
Notify
Tools

Thermodrone!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
Night stalking just got more interesting.

http://gizmodo.com/flirs-new-t...opro-moun-1732351025

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This can become a game changer in anti-poaching efforts... The only problem is on the DJI Phantom platform you only get 20-25 minutes flying time.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I agree. Lots of potential for a lot of interesting applications. Just need a lot of batteries.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daylight cameras are already in use to keep tabs on animals but night vision and thermal has been the big key.

Light aircraft and helicopters are in use today but they are too loud and too easy to track and too easy to hide from. A small, cost effective drone is the game changer.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
One of the landowners I deal with in NM just hooked up that flir to his DJI Inspire 1 for use in finding cattle in his pastures. His pastures are as big as some ranches and he has found that the drone helps him locate and count cattle. He got the flir so he could fly it in early morning and locate them via heat signature.

If there is interest I'll post back how this works and see if I can't get some pictures

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drones are finding significant application in game management. They are so inexpensiveness to fly and can cover an amazing amount of area in 25 minute flight time. Four batteries, a solar panel for recharge and you can easily fly for 2 hours a day and cover hundreds of acres.