New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tried out new Elite Iron suppressor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought my hunting buddy's .338 suppressor which it did not look like he would get around to putting on his .338 Winchester because of health issues.

First, I put it on a Thompson Center TCR-87 with a 16-1/2 inch .300 BLK barrel. Previosly I'd had a .30 Dakota silencer on it. The Dakota silencer (titanium) weighs about a pound and the Elite Iron (steel) weighs about 2 pounds so I was not surprised that with the Elite Iron the point of impact was 2 inches lower at around 50 yards. The gun would not buck up as much from recoil by the time the bullet exited the barrel. However, I was surprised that the point of impact was also 2 inches to the right. Overall that is a point of impact change of about 5.5 MOA between the two silencers. This was with subsonic loads with the Nosler 220-grain Subsonic hunting bullets.

I also put it on my .338-.378 Weatherby. This used to be an Accumark which had a 26-inch barrel with a recoil brake. In that configuration recoil was not too bad even with ear plus and ear muffs the report was terrible. After shooting a moose with it, I put a heavier 28-inch barrel on it with no recoil brake and no freebore in order to convert it to a long range gun for coyotes, deer, etc. I got a lot of deer with it but recoil was terrible even though the gun weighs over 11 pounds. Now with the steel silencer on it, it weighs over 13 pounds so it is basically a gun to shoot from a rest, not the standing possition, but now recoil is about what one would expect from a .270 Winchester between the extra weight and the slowing of the powder's gases. I was shooting it under a roof and forgot to put my ear plugs in one time and though it was much louder than my .17 Hornet with a silencer, it did not at all seem painful to my sensitive ears. I would never bother with ear plugs when hunting with it now. Also, I shot one 3-shot group with it at 600 yards which measured 4-1/2 inches. I have been afraid to shoot it since I got detatched retinas a few years ago and now I feel safe shooting it again.

posted Hide Post
I have one of their Bravo 1 cans, and use it on several different rifles.

Try to 'time' it so that it doesn't affect POI. The words 'Elite Iron' are supposed to be top dead center to mitigate horizontal POI shifts.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote