New
Find
Notify
Tools

244 Magnum value
 Login/Join

<thender>
posted
Howdy fellas! Well It's been four months and the kitchen is done and I'm starting to dip my toes back into the cartridge hobby....
Any body know what the worth and scaricity of a H/S 244 MAGNUM, with a two piece copper expanding pointed bullett, with three line crimps on the neck and a semi - flat brass primer??
A friend sent it to me and I have never seen any for sale, probably because I wasn't looking for them..... Thanks!!! [Wink]

<seven17>
posted
Would that be a Halger Magnum? I don't have my book handy. It doesn't look like a 244 Rem does it?

<thender>
posted
It's a belted cartridge.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I would guess that you have a Hollands .244 Magnum - the last of the British Holland and Holland belted case cartridges , for use in magnum Mauser bolt action rifles . Introduced in 1955 , usually found with a 100 grain copper pointed bullet , as is yours.

Value ? I would guess at $20 to $25 . Not startlingly uncommon but not found in large numbers either . Good score .

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
<thender>
posted
Thanks Mister Muzza, As allways, you are a varitable fountain of information! By the way I'm still building a package for ya of brass to play with and compensetory funds for the thv info and coins. [Cool]

<seven17>
posted
Yeah, Muzza is right. If I could have seen it I would have been able to tell that one from across the room! I got a few of those awhile back and resold all but 2. Very interesting cart.

one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
I didn't think they were all that valuable, but looking at my database of recent sales, they do seem to go in the $20 range.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
<thender>
posted
Hello Teak, And that is exactly what the fellow wants for the cartridge ($20.00). [Big Grin]

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Just ferreted out my example of the .244 and it has an aluminium tip projectile , so there are at least two variants out there . Glad to be able to help , and even got the value right for a change! [Wink]

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
<seven17>
posted
I looked at mine and it has 244 over the primer and MAGNUM under the primer and that is all for the headstamp. I still have the 5 rnd. box it came in and the bullet looks similar to the old Rem bronze pt. (EDIT) I must have had a cerebral vortex, I read your H/S as part of the headstamp! Sounds like our carts are the same.

[ 06-01-2003, 17:00: Message edited by: seven17 ]