THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CARTRIDGE COLLECTING FORUM

Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are the most obscur/rarest cartridges you own?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Picked up an interesting one the other day; a 25x137 NATO drill/dummy. What's so unusual about that? It's headstamped "25mm ADEN"; a gun which never made it into service. There won't be many of those around...

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/

Posts: 238 | Location: Derbyshire, UK | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
A 3 inch /50 mod-1-10-1942 shell caseing from the USS Texas my uncle brought back from WWII & gave to me. He served on the Texas. Can't be many of these around that can be substantiated.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
since we are comparing sizes , how about a shell casing from a six inch German pre-WWI Naval gun .This baby weighs 17 pound mt , stands 28.5 inches high and makes an impressive umbrella stand . Made by Polte Magdeburg , sept 1906. Being a naval shell makes it fairly rare too , as most of them went over the side back then , and as to why a German pre WWI shell would turn up in New Zealand - your guess would be as good as mine .
This is my biggest cartridge , I must admit!

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
Well, one of my 'big bore' buddies has a no-kidding A-bomb casing on his front lawn. No guts of any kind or radiation . . . probably a defective or obsolete piece which was never loaded, but talk about heavy ordnance! He also has some real good British & German stuff I'm trying to chisel since he has no interest in it, up to 200mm or so . . . and a 16" Naval projectile (no shell, of course), plus an 8"(?) shell recovered from the cruiser Brooklyn which was sunk off the Jersey coast.

And on the home front, I just added a Confederate .56 Colt Reo made at the Selma Arsenal and recovered shortly after the battle of Savage Station outside of Richmond in the closing days of the Civil War. Very generous trade from a friend in the Midwest. Sweet goodie!! Perhaps the most rare item I have.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't compare with most, but I do have one that hasn't been mentioned: a .43 Mauser, loaded with a paper patched lead bullet.

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
25-06 improved and a 6mm 223 thats it,

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
An original box of 56-50 spencer cartridges.

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<10.3X60R>
posted
My oddballs are

10.3X60R / 450/400 2 3/8" BPE same cartridge
10.75X68
295 rook
43 mauser
and 38S&W

Nothing too obscure, but all fun to shoot.

One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted Hide Post
5mm Clement Auto
22 WCF
dummy 410 3" Paper
dummy 410 2 1/2" Plastic

and a foil cartridge that measures:
Rim .534
Web .482
Length 3.232
Mouth .405, ya'll tell me what it is.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
any chance of a photo or scan of the cartridge ? It is difficult to know without more information but I will look through my case measurements book and see what turns up.cheers.

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Ok - I beleive the cartridge to be the 400 - 3 1/4" Boxer made by various British manufacturers ca. 1870's -80's for use in primarily double rifles but also single barrelled firearms .Does your one have the hollow nose with wood plug bullet or the copper tubed hollow point ?
Interesting cartridge.

One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted Hide Post
The foil cartridge is a primed case only, no projectile. I too think it is the 400 3 1/4. Thanks, Gene

one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough, I find myself in agreement w/ the gent from NZ: .400-3.25" Boxer.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
so - does this make us both odd , or just you odd , or just me odd ? Its still a 400 x 3.25" case but just how odd is odd?

<Per577>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
does your 30-03 have a waxy paper bullet or a "normal" type of bullet? The paper blank bullet will look like it is a little wrinkley on the nose , which should be roughly rounded in profile . This is the only listed type of blank for the 30-03 , save for a full length Gatling type specimen which is known to have been made but isnt known to exist today.

Hey Muzza !!

Could you tell me more about the .575 Miller & greiss Magnum ? Ballistics,,figures ,everything !
On beforehand thank you very much ! [Big Grin]

<Per577>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Williams:
Picked up an interesting one the other day; a 25x137 NATO drill/dummy. What's so unusual about that? It's headstamped "25mm ADEN"; a gun which never made it into service. There won't be many of those around...

Tony Williams
Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/

Hey Tony Williams !!
It's nice having a guy who seem to know a lot about those military rounds. I'm too very into that stuff. Well i like the Rapid fire book very much, which cover 12,7 mm - 57 mm Bofors. There are a lot of questions i'd like someone like you to answer ?
What is the max firing rate of the 2A38m tunguska guns, firing all guns at the same time ?(10.000 !!)
Could you please show me the GAU-6, 10 MM experimental gatling sevenbarreled gun. I 'd relly like to see the feeding link system of both the M-134,,and the XM-277 !
By the way, i have all the time wanted to see the 6 barreled GECAL-50, MOUNTED ON THE BLACKHAWK. And all pics of the feeding link system, and where fired cases are ejected. This gottam thing fires 8,000 r.p.m in the 6- barreled version. The barrels must be overheated very quikly at this rate, don't you think ?
I wonder if one can see really detailed pics of the GECAL-50, GAU-6 IN THE jANES INFANTRY, OR SUPPORT WEPONS BOOK,,WHICH COSTS A FORTUNNEE !!?

i HOPE YOU CAN GIVE RESPOND,,AND IN THE TIME GET TO POST SOME PICS ? [Big Grin] [Confused] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Live 20MM armor peircing.

Posts: 121 | Location: Prosser, WA | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
per577 - your query on the .575 Miller and Greiss Magnum ;

Dixon Vol 1 p 152 states " this calibre is only known through diagrams ( drawn circa 1958 ) and shown in a ECCA Bulletin and may have been produced as a wildcat based on the .50 Browning MG case with a rebated rim similar to the 625 Mauser Magnum. Commercial manufacture is not known and no specimens are confirmed ."

A sketchy line drawing is shown also . I suspect it may be a drawingboard cartridge , not actually produced.

Thats not much help but its all there is .

one of us
posted Hide Post
.45ACP rounds, all factory loaded from 1923 up, including all wwII steel cased rounds, and a 40MM.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I came across some old Herters 44 mags with a small primer. I had never seen these before and have been a 44 mag shooter for 32 yrs.Are these very common?
Jak

Posts: 14 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you guys including wildcats or just commercially produced stuff.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I guess anything goes really - if it is a cartridge , be it a 14 Alton Jones or a shell for the WW1 Paris Kannon ( which your Military Museum in Canberra reputedley has two of - Aussie soldiers will steal anything , unless the Kiwis get there first ).

The more the merrier , I say!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have what I call a 416sw as no one seemed to have done it before or could suggest a name for it. It's a 505 Gibbs improved, necked down to 416 and the neck shortened to give the case an oal of 76mm.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Murray, your Oceanic kin worry about artillery shells while the Doughboys / GIs take care of the babes and the booze. NO need for me to editorialize further, I think. [Big Grin]

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I suspect that the combined efforts of ANZAC troops in the last hundred years at womanising , boozing and flogging anything of value that was stealable would be at least equal to any other nation you might like to mention . Of course we made little effort at hiding it - we were , and still are , rough Colonials and others expect such uncouth behaviour of us . Who are we to disappoint our public....?

Pleased to see shovelling snow hasnt dampened your cheery disposition any....

What does this have to do with cartridges anyway...? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Per577:
Hey Tony Williams !!
It's nice having a guy who seem to know a lot about those military rounds. I'm too very into that stuff. Well i like the Rapid fire book very much, which cover 12,7 mm - 57 mm Bofors. There are a lot of questions i'd like someone like you to answer ?
What is the max firing rate of the 2A38m tunguska guns, firing all guns at the same time ?(10.000 !!)
Could you please show me the GAU-6, 10 MM experimental gatling sevenbarreled gun. I 'd relly like to see the feeding link system of both the M-134,,and the XM-277 !
By the way, i have all the time wanted to see the 6 barreled GECAL-50, MOUNTED ON THE BLACKHAWK. And all pics of the feeding link system, and where fired cases are ejected. This gottam thing fires 8,000 r.p.m in the 6- barreled version. The barrels must be overheated very quikly at this rate, don't you think ?
I wonder if one can see really detailed pics of the GECAL-50, GAU-6 IN THE jANES INFANTRY, OR SUPPORT WEPONS BOOK,,WHICH COSTS A FORTUNNEE !!?

i HOPE YOU CAN GIVE RESPOND,,AND IN THE TIME GET TO POST SOME PICS ? [Big Grin] [Confused] [Big Grin] [/QB]

Very sorry for the long delay, but I haven't looked at this thread for a while so I've only just noticed your post (I do like those sites which send you an email if someone responds to your post!).

I'm pleased you like the book and I hope you're keeping up with the amendments page on my website.

The Tunguska fires at 5,000 rpm; it has two twin-barrel 30mm guns, each firing at 2,500 rpm. The really hot one is the naval Kashtan with two six-barrel GSh-6-30 rotaries, each capable of 5,000+ rpm.

The 6-barrel version of the GECAL .50 was dropped in favour of the 3-barrel version (now the GAU-19/A).

I really focus on cartridges before guns, so I don't have a lot of pictures of the guns. My main source on the postwar US experimentals is Chinn's classic "The Machine Gun", which has some photos but not ususally showing great detail.

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition discussion forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/

Posts: 238 | Location: Derbyshire, UK | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Per577>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
per577 - your query on the .575 Miller and Greiss Magnum ;

Dixon Vol 1 p 152 states " this calibre is only known through diagrams ( drawn circa 1958 ) and shown in a ECCA Bulletin and may have been produced as a wildcat based on the .50 Browning MG case with a rebated rim similar to the 625 Mauser Magnum. Commercial manufacture is not known and no specimens are confirmed ."
Hello Muzza !!
could you then tell me about the .625 Mauser Magnum if it's a cartridge !!
And i would be glad if you sent me pic's with the mail ?

A sketchy line drawing is shown also . I suspect it may be a drawingboard cartridge , not actually produced.

Thats not much help but its all there is .

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Per577 -

The short answer to your question is no . The only mention of the 625 Mauser Magnum is that as listed above .I would hazard a guess that the 625 may well be a drawingboard cartridge also. Sorry.... [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 45/70 military cartridge made by Winchester in 1883.
The headstamp reads: W R 2 83
That headstamp is not listed in the Trapdoor record book.
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most unusual cartridges I have are;

.22EXTRA LONG RIMFIRE

.22EXTRA LONG CENTERFIRE MAYNARD

.45Colt FA 1912

30/40 KRAG FA 1902

9mm STEYR SB 1917 Nickel jacketed bullet

.433 E.R.blank Kynoch headstamp

.30 HLS CHEAPSKATE both rimmed and rimless

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
some junk to add,

50-100 M. 1873 MAYNARD
7.92 X 82 GERMAN MG
60 CHINESE JINGAL
.38 REYNOLDS
.307 SCHNEELOCK TRIANGULAR
18 X 30R DUTCH SNIDER "P"
.58 FLOP EAR
.50-105 WINCHESTER EXPRESS
.40 SLANT BREECH
.44 BALLARD PRECUSSION
.42 MARTIN PRIMED
.44 SAMUEL ADAMS
.58 ROBERTS RAISED "H"
.55 WESSON SHOT SHELL
.45-60 REMINGTON BLACK HILLS
14 GAUGE BOYD PAT.
.50 CRISPIN
6MM SMITH & WESSON
.36 SHARPS WIRE EXTRACTOR
.45 3 6/10" SHARPS
.58 SCHUBARTH
45-70 1776-1876 CENTINNIAL
16" NAVAL A.P.

BRUCE

Posts: 15 | Location: wallace,ne,usa | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by krag56:
some junk to add,....
BRUCE

Bruce, Please send me some of your JUNK!! I'll even pay the postage!

Is the 307 SCHNEELOCK triangular the one in Logan's book (page 88)? On page 202 he says that it was made by a German gunsmith in N.Y., but my 1959 edition doesn't give a name. Where did you find the name Schneelock?

Also, is the 38 Reynolds a wildcat?

Several really GREAT cartridges!

the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
the .307 sneelock was patented and produced by OTTO SNEELOCK in 1872 pat.# 134442. it used an allen patent rimfire as a primer. there is a 1st model 3rd issue smith & wesson that was modified for this cartridge.
the .38 reynolds, i don't know much about. i think it was patented in 1855. there was one that sold in a buttweiler auction, vol. XI, number 3, item number 45.
i will send you a picture of these cartridges.
bruce

Posts: 15 | Location: wallace,ne,usa | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Two unusual "pistol" rounds:

* Gyrojet round - copper colored

* Dardick "tround" - green colored

The Gyrojet was given to me after returning a display round that had been stolen from a Southern Gun display counter. I had purchased a group of cartridges from a man in the telephone office, who got them from a kid in the area. So, Southern Gun gave me one of the common colored rounds as a reward for making their display complete again. The display rounds were a special color that couldn't be replaced, and would have ruined the value of the display version.

Also, got the Dardick "tround" from them, in a selection they wanted to sell. This is a plastic triangle shaped round that can be handloaded on the spot, push out the primer and push another one in place. Drop some powder in and push in another bullet.

Other than that I have a few paper wrapped civil war rounds and a few pin fire rounds, including a pin fire shotgun shell (empty). [Smile]

TinkerD

[ 02-11-2003, 21:23: Message edited by: TinkerD ]

Posts: 1 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
The best thing about cartridge collecting - other than the great people that are involved - is that no matter how big or small your collection is , you will always have cartridges that I dont have.

Keep up the good work guys!

[Smile]