New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester-Western "Bear" Bullet Boxes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend has a large collection of Winchester and Western Bear Bullet Boxes with cartridges inside. These are the ones with colorful boxes featuring a grizzly bear--in some the bear is standing upright while in others it's on all fours. How marketable are these (how much demand) and what is a reasonable average price per box? I realize that some are more rare than others and prices vary accordingly. Were these discontinued in the 1950's?

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Not sure what calibers you have, or what a fair price would be, but I'd be interested in some perhaps.

PM me if they are still available - thanks!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a box of 200gr 35 Remington. Bear standing with a paw in the air. There are a few variations. I want the box that is advertising the Silvertip. "with silver colored jacket made of copper, nickel, and zinc"

PM me if available.

Thanks

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on condition, a lot or a whole lot more.

Have turned down $250 for this box of 300 H&Hs which are in "good" but hardly as new condition.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I would be suspect of a new looking box. In the realm of ammo boxes there are many reproductions and outright forgeries.

What are they worth?..........They are worth no more than someone will give you for them.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Econ 101: "A sale is defined as a transfer of good between a willing buyer and a willing seller at an agreed upon price".

No body is faking Bear boxes as the setup cost alone would require you to sell 1000s to break even.

A few more interesting 300 H&H full boxes:

How do you tell if a Remington 300 H&H case is old ? It is only headstamped "300 Magnum" as there were no other 30 caliber magnums in production. The box will say 300 Holland and Holland, the case head will not.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you have not seen what all can be done with a laser printer. Most of the reproduction/fake boxes are 22 rimfire, but with the attention to detail almost anything can be faked and you would not need to sell thousands of them to recoup your investment.

As with anything, if you collect long enough you will run across fakes. Further examination of paper and headstamps and overall condition of ctgs will tell in the end.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. I'm well acquainted with fakes in several areas of Winchester items. None of the Bear Bullet boxes I'm dealing with are fake--guaranteed!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't mean to get off topic or insult anyone's intelligence. I appologise if it seemed that way.

In response to your original inquiry, I believe there is a market for the boxes your friend has. Best thing I would suggest is look at various online auctions and see what they seem to be selling for. I have witnessed 1st hand Bear boxes sell for $1000-$1200 at one auction in Dallas and 3 weeks later in Houston not be able to draw $300. A lot depends upon the bidders and how badly one needs or wants one in their collection. In the more rare calibers, with all the original ctgs and box 95%, I would guess $600 and up. Someone else will tell you $1000 and up or less than $1200.

No pun intended, but it depends upon what the market will bear.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member