Find
Notify
Tools

mannlicher cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have recently aquired a Mannlicher Schoenauer
It is marked KAL:8 NCRM. I can find nothing on this caliber in any of my books.I am hoping some
one can help me out.The person I got the rifle
from said it was 6.5X54 MS.
Thanks Dave

Posts: 269 | Location: South East Florida | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it is the 8x56 MS,a rimless cartridge introduced in 1908 by Mannlicher-Schoenauer,not to be confused with the 8x56R Hungarian Mannlicher.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Measure the bore diameter at the muzzle . That will tell you if it is a 6.5 or 8mm bore , which will narrow down your choices considerabley.

Once you know the bore size finding the actual calibre will be a fairly simple process .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentleman for your replies I will look into both Dave

Posts: 269 | Location: South East Florida | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Have you had any luck with the MS???

cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wildcat Crazy:
Perhaps it is the 8x56 MS,a rimless cartridge introduced in 1908 by Mannlicher-Schoenauer,not to be confused with the 8x56R Hungarian Mannlicher.

WC

I would say the 8x56 MS would be more confused with the 8x57 Mauser as they look almost identical. Also too remove the bolt and look down the barrel, the chamber will neck down conciderably more if it's a 6.5 then if it was an 8mm.

Simple test, if the old yellow number two wood pencil will slide in the bore it's definitely not a 6.5, more like an 8mm esp if the pencil is loose.

joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did find out it is a 6.5X54 MS It was made during or right after the war and was barreled
6.5 The 8NCRM is really 8NORM or normal as not magnum.Seeing that it was made about 1945 they
probably used what the Germans left them to make guns.The reciever was made during the
occupation 1938-45 as it is marked made in germany