New
Find
Notify
Tools

25 Rimfire
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a few 25 caliber rim fire cartridges. I have never heard of them. Does anyone have any information on them, like when they were made and what firearms were chambered for them. Hell, anything would sure be nice.

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have 3 25 RF's in my collection, IIRC there are some others.

25 Bacon & Bliss (.47" case length)
25 Stevens Short (.61" case length)
25 Stevens Long (1.12" case length)

Most likely you have one of the 25 Stevens (they are more common than the B&B)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Stevens Favorite rifle in 25 Stevens.

It was my first rifle as a boy.

The Stevens Favorite was chambered for the 25 Stevens rim fire and the 22 LR and perhaps others. It was a small swinging block single shot take down rifle.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner and Savage_99

Thank you guys for the information. I don't have a lot of them, I think about 15 or so. Do they have any collector value? I don't collect cartridges and I would like to get the cartridges to someone who would like to have them.

Gracias,

Hoot

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Pretty popular cartridge back in the day. I was using a metal detector at our old Craftsman home built in 1912 some years ago and was finding a lot of empties that I thought were .22 cases that had somehow expanded as they corroded. Then I realized they were .25s -- the .25 Stevens short to be exact. This was a less expensive and less powerful version of the .25 Stevens. The latter was a well-regarded round, pushing a 67-grain bullet at 1180 in the smokeless version. Both were discontinued in 1942, according to Cartridges of the World.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too own a Stevens Favorite 25 RF , it's a neat little rifle with a octagon barrel

I only have 2 cartridges , they have a copper case and have a U stamped on the back . The bullet is a flat nose lead design .

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seems like some company in Latin America made .25 rimfire ammo until recently. Googling the topic, looks like CIL/Canuck made it into the early 1970s.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there also a .32 rim fire as well ?

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Cat:
Wasn't there also a .32 rim fire as well ?

Note that there are often several variations in each caliber.
26 (267 Rem)
7mm
8mm
9mm
18mm
And that's just what's in my small rimfire collection

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner,

From your post you look like you are somewhat an expert on rimfires. I am wondering if the 25 rimfire cartridge has any collector value? I don't have enough to make it worthwhile sending them to someone for the shipping.

Muchas gracias,

Hoot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoot
Not an expert, just an amateur cartridge collector.

Pricing is always a tough question, as it depends in a large number of variables. Condition, desirability, exact variances IE: a difference in manufacture, headstamp size/font or bullet design), and rarity.
EX: out of the known 9000+ variations of the 9x19 (9mm Lugar) cartridge, most go begging for a dime, some are worth $5 and a rare couple worth over $500(and than only to a specialty collector).

The 25 Stevens is considered (by collectors) to be a fairly common cartridge. I checked my listing, and I have 50 cents my 3 25 Stevens cartridges (2 were free).

The "money" market for yours is to those guys that have the rifles for them, and need the ammo to go along with them.

A ad posted at your local gun shops would yield the best results for you (UPS or Fe-ex shipping charges, 1 lb min, would kill any distance deal), or see if there are any cartridge collectors at your local gun show.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner,

Thank you for your reply. The reason I asked if there was any collector interest in the cartridges, maybe a collector may want them for the price of shipping. Of course, if you told me that they were worth 25.00 a piece, I would be looking for buyers. I have no use for them, but I kinda hate to throw them away.

Muchas gracias,

Hoot