Find
Notify
Tools

Kynoch Ammo Value?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
A buddy of mine, who is not a member of AR, recently purchased a bunch of gun stuff from an estate. Included was several full boxes of Kynoch ammunition. Does this ammo have any collector value? Can anyone give me an estimate as to their value?

Thanks,

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
You can check on Gunbroker and Guns International for comparables. Prices might be a bit high, but they will give you an idea of where to start.

Also, the value of Kynoch ammunition can vary, often to a significant extent, based on when and by which iteration of "Kynoch" it was manufactured.

For vintage Kynoch ammunition (as opposed to the modern variety manufactured by Kynamco Limited), that can be determined based on information, including the date code, that is printed and stamped on the back of the box.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13352 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Following on from Mike's post, PM me if you want info on determining the date the ammo was manufactured. The iteration of Kynoch is part of the dating process.

Posts: 3833 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is correct. There is a good article on this subject (dating Kynoch ammunition boxes) written by Max Lee and published in Issue No. 7, June 2002, of Hammers Back, the Vintagers (Order of Edwardian Gunners) Newsletter. I believe this link should work.

Hammers Back, Issue No. 7, June 2002

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13352 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Yes, that is correct. There is a good article on this subject (dating Kynoch ammunition boxes) written by Max Lee and published in Issue No. 7, June 2002, of Hammers Back, the Vintagers (Order of Edwardian Gunners) Newsletter. I believe this link should work.

Hammers Back, Issue No. 7, June 2002

This is the same information I have only I have formatted it onto a double sided A4 sheet with a couple of photos of the reverse side of Kynoch ammo boxes showing the date stamps.

There was also an 'S' letter added after the date which designated a steel jacket.

Posts: 3833 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold some for $100 a box, it was 450-400-? and best I recall some of it was 318 WR..and one box of 425 WR..Maybe on AR, its been some time ago..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41782 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I buy lots of Kynoch. What you have here varies fro $40 per box for the small and unimpressive calibers, to $100 for the .577. Others in between.

Yes, others may ask more on GI but you'll notice it sits there for months and a year or more. I gave you what I buy for and what I sell excess for.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, others may ask more on GI but you'll notice it sits there for months and a year or more. I gave you what I buy for and what I sell excess for.

A guy last month at a gun show in town had a few boxes of vintage 318 for $100/box. Even though I've got a double in that caliber I passed. I imagine he'll have it for quite a while at that price.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote