Find
Notify
Tools

cleaning cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted
whats the best way to clean my cases? how abt a vibritary case cleaner. i know the empty cases will be fine but what abt loaded rounds.
i figures since the case that my collection is in fell off the office wall it would be a good time to clean them again. thanks brian
ps any body know where to get any kind of display cases ti house the rest of my collection?

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
Brian,

Conventional wisdom has it that cleaning - as in making the brass sparkling bright such as would occur with a vibrating cleaner - is not desirable.

And I tend to agree with that, although there are folks who like their specimens to meet the standards of a Marine Corps DI. The problem, depending on the examples involved, is that it is possible to damage the specimen or at the very least mask tool marks or other clues about the origin, loading, etc. This doesn't pertain to newer items, of course. But then if you put a bit of mirror finish next to one allowed to age gracefully, the combo is not aesthetically pleasing.

With that caveat, I'd steer clear of the mechanical cleaner. There are kinder, gentler ways to do this . . . there's a detailed discussion of this topic on this site:

IAA

For display, you have many options. There are shadow boxes, for example, for wall display which you can find at shows or by on-line search.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote