Find
Notify
Tools

8x58R Danish Krag Cartridge...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone familiar with this cartridge to know how to
make one from parent brass? Especially if it can be fireformed in the chamber from an undersized current brass case.
Ray? Anyone?
Thanks, Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom

Being rimmed, the 8x58R Krag can be safely fireformed from any brass that has the correct rim and base diameter. However, that's the problem. With a .575" rim and a .500" base there isn't a whole lot of brass to work with. The 6.5 x 58 Krag brass will work but it's probably just as hard to find as the 8 x 58. If I were you I would just get some new 8 x 58R Krag cases. You might be able to find some Norma ammo still around but I believe Huntington sells Bertram 8 x 58R brass which is probably pretty good quality but pricey. Maybe someone else here knows of a cheaper parent case you could use.

Best regards

Ray

Just a thought. Look around on Auction Arms & Gun Broker for some fired stuff. You never know.

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reply re. 8x58R Danish...I had forgotten
about "Buffalo Arms" in Idaho, they offer 8x58R
brass too. Its usually cheaper buying from them than having to buy a bunch of form dies, etc...
Best Regards, Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bisonland:
Anyone familiar with this cartridge to know how to
make one from parent brass? Especially if it can be fireformed in the chamber from an undersized current brass case.
Ray? Anyone?
Thanks, Tom

Hi Bison

You will have to use 45-90 which must be shorten down to 58mm or 2.28" of an inch, and then formed. Good luck cheers

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote