New
Find
Notify
Tools

Display Cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am getting ready to build a display case for my collection. I currently have them in an antique spool drawer and of course, a couple of cigar boxes. I would love to hear what some of the rest of you have done for display.

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fly

One of the worst enemies of copper and brass cartridges can be wood. Especially some woods like Oak that have high degrees of acid in them. Likewise many cardboards and paper. The best bet is metal drawers and plastic or acid-free paper or corrugated cardboard. Naturally, both of these things are hard to find. If you use wood make every effort to find older wood that has aged and even then seal it as much as possible. The same for any paper and corrugated cardboard. Depending on where you live, even the air can be hazardous. High humidity and dirty air can cause cases to change color and darken. A 100% cure for all of this is to store your cartridges in sealed plastic tubes but then you can't really display them with pride so it's all a trade-off. Good Luck.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Especially stay well away from anything made from MDF/chipboard/compressed sawdust type board . The formaldehyde in the glue will destroy your cartridges faster than you would imagine.....

Old map/plan cabinets ( steel type ) are ok too.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, being a wood butcher, I was thinking of making this project out of some really old pine that I had salvaged from an old factory that was being torn down. They are really wide clear pine boards. They were in the factory for at least seventy five years. Since they some resin smell when I planed them, do you think I should change direction, and buy a metal case?
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fly

Many years ago I made some display cases from some lumber that I salvaged from a very old corral. When it was planed down it was a beautiful yellow color and made a very impressive display and backdrop for the brass and copper cartridges. However I did completely seal the wood with one of the modern epoxy based finishes. I never had a cartridge deteriorate from it.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
i went out and got what's called a shadow box from a hobby store and some white lining for the back. i put some latches on the side that opens up and put the cartridges in there. looks nice. just a thought!

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote