Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 8.8x72- Does anyone know
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted
I believe you are looking at what would be a 9.3x72 in our terminology.

The only way to be absolutely sure will be to do a chamber cast and slug the barrel.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I will ask next time I go there. I am not certain the owner brought the rifle in with him.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
This leads to the question - is the cartridge case rimmed or rimless ? If it is rimmed it could be one of the following calibres -8 x 72R Nimrod ; 8 x 72R Collath ; 8 x 72R Teschner ; 8 x 72R/360 ; 8.2 x 72R . Or a 9 mm variant as suggested , there are more 9mm variants than 8mm .

It is unlikely to be a rimless calibre in the size mentioned anyway , but once again without the actual referance we are all just guessing

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Somebody walked in to a local gunshop with a rifle over a 16 gauge shotgun (Bocksbuchflinte??). The rifle bbl was marked 8.8x72. Does anyone know anything about this caliber. I suspect it is an obsolete German caliber from the early 1900's. This is all info I have at this time. Thanx.

This Bockb�chsflinte is unusual in that the rifle barrel is situated above the shot barrel. Its caliber would be one of the two (different and non-interchageable !) 9,3x72 R cartridges.

Note that the proof stamp refers to the *bore* diameter, to the lands thus, not to the grooves. Your gun has deep lead grooves (0,25 mms).

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Are you saying it is not a bochsb... because the rifle bbl is situated over the shot bbl? If so what do you call it? It is most possible that my memory from 25 yrs ago is very poor. I know drilling and vierling and that I am sure of. All else is is followed by ????. Thanx for reply. I never thought about bore diameter. I have read it before just did not recall untill mentioned. Wierd stuff shows up here ocassionally. Always interesting.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote