Find
Notify
Tools

1917 7.62x54R ID?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents
I recently was given a 7.62x54R cartridge, brought back by a friends grandfather from WW-1, and I'm wondering if this bullet designation has any meaning.
Head stamp is a raised "u" (might be Crillic?) at 12 o'clock and a 17 at 6 o'clock.
Bullet is slightly attracted to a magnet, aluminum colored with a brown tip approx. 1/4" long. Any ideas?

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Ok TG will try and send the photos to the guys . No promises , not overly computer literate but will try .

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
You guys want to PM me with your e-mail and I will send the images . cheers

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner,

I believe I have found your headstamp to be Imperial Russian made in Saint Petersburg.

http://www.poszukiwanieskarbow.com/greg/ammo_4htm

#758 on the x-signs and numbers page.

Check and see if its the one.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's real close to what I have. Right shape and location, couple of (very) slight differences that could be nothing more than the type font used.
Could this be one that was produced a US firm under contract to that arsonel? Back to the "how did he get it" question again. More of a couresity question.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner,

I would doubt it was produced in the U.S.after looking at all of those headstamps.

The U.S. delivered arms and ammo to Archangel which is
north of Saint Petersburg.The cartridge could have been brought back by a sailor and gave to Grampa.

Grampa could have also brought it back himself if he was involved in the Archangel Expedition in 1918.The American
soldiers involved were armed with M-N 91s.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir. I guess I'll live with that explaination.
This whole thread got started mainly to try and determine the bullet type, and it developed into quite a nice lesson in WW-1 history. I am deeply grateful to you and everyone that provided input and assistance on this question.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Head stamp is a raised "u" (might be Crillic?) at

My (more recent) Yugoslavian cartridges have an impressed headstamp of 'nny'. These are Cyrillic characters equivalent to 'ppu' with the 'u' being uncertain. the 'pp' stands for 'Prvi Partizan' while the 'u' is the name of a city or location that starts with U.

It's possible that the raised 'u' on your cartridge is from the same plant---many years earlier.

the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I recieved the images and it is without doubt St.Petersberg. As I mentioned in my last post the Square missing one side (roughly) is the cyrillic P.
The bullet is an early AP, but, I have to admit I can now not remember the designation (B?) I will look it up again, and post the information. By the way in Regenstriefs 'Munitions Sovietiques' the bullet and St.Petersberg headstamps are shown.

posted Hide Post
It is apparently the 'B' bullet, an AP load, used from 1914-1918.