New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 WCF, what every collector needs.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I stumbled onto a quantity of pretty clean WW 22 WCF. Is there any interest in collecting it? I figured it'd be perfect at the small end of the collection.

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Its worth saving. I have a 1903 chambered thus + a few boxes of ammo, but they are as rare as hens teeth so I don't shoot them. For a collection that might be O.K. but don't plan on increasing the value over the years. On the plus side of thehistory of this round, this was the one that Ad Tuepperwein used for his record setting display of thrown blocks of wood being hit by that little 22. If you are not familiar with the story, Google it; Adolph Tupperwien was a real icon in the shooting world.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy to sell you 100 rounds or so.

The 22WCF is the father of the 22 Hornet and the 32-20, IIRC.

Seems like it was called the 22-7-45 in the 1800s.
Edit
My mind took the weekend off...the WCF is the father of the Hornet, but not related to the 32-20.

In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who hasn't seen the photos of Topperwein sitting on the mountain of wooden blocks. I always assumed he used a 22LR, but I thought they'd have to be mighty soft wood to break like that. The WCF has almost 20% more velocity and a heavier bullet.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Some collector should jump on this as they are a very rare cartridge anymore. I have a wall hanger + a little ammo but I don't want to throw $$$ away. Those 22s have a great value. Some sellers are asking $4.00 a round.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will part with them, $70 for 20 rounds TYD, or PM for larger volume.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll sell four rounds of 22 WCF for $25, TYD.
Pm for details.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Ad Topperwein used a series of three Winchester Model '03 Auto rifles to set his world record of wooden block shooting in December 1907.

The 03 Auto is a proprietary rimfire cartridge and not related to the 22 WCF in any way other than being .22 caliber

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Granddad had a rifle on the wall in that cartridge, along with a single 12ga.

As a kid I remember him taking it down and go out to kill a skunk under the car.
I have never been able to learn who got his 2 or 3 guns. Too late now as they're all long dead.

I would like to have one shell as a keep sake.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
Ad Topperwein used a series of three Winchester Model '03 Auto rifles to set his world record of wooden block shooting in December 1907.

The 03 Auto is a proprietary rimfire cartridge and not related to the 22 WCF in any way other than being .22 caliber

I believe that would be the .22WRF.

Hip

Posts: 1783 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I believe Winchester made a .22 rimfire made just for the auto rifles! Don't remember what the label was---possible .22rimfire auto (.22RF)?

Hip

Posts: 1783 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
No, I believe Winchester made a .22 rimfire made just for the auto rifles! Don't remember what the label was---possible .22rimfire auto (.22RF)?

Hip

22 Winchester Automatic. Used only in the 1903 semi auto rifle.

Posts: 679 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right. I have one + a few boxes of ammo, but boy is that ammo pricey, if you can find it, + no it does not interchange.

Posts: 4078 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Just for tourist info -

The 22 WCF (Winchester Center Fire) was a necked centerfire cartridge using 13 grains of black powder introduced in 1885 along with the Winchester 1885 single shot rifle. It used a .228" diameter 45 grain plain lead bullet. The case eventually evolved into the 22 Hornet with a .223" or .224" bullet.

The 22 WRF (Winchester Rim Fire) was an inside-lubed rimfire straight cartridge introduced with the Winchester 1890 pump rifle, and then used in many rifles and revolvers.

The 22 WMR (Winchester Magnum Rimfire) "22 Mag" was introduced in 1959 as a slightly lengthened, higher pressure evolution of the 22 WRF.

The 22 Winchester Auto was also an inside-lubed rimfire cartridge that was only used in the Winchester 1903 automatic rifle.

There was also a near-identical (but not interchangeable, go figure) 22 Remington Auto rimfire cartridge introduced in 1914 for the Rem model 16 automatic rifle.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew all of that except to the last two lines.

The Joe Biden in me was coming out when I last posted. Big Grin Confused Roll Eyes

Hip