Find
Notify
Tools

British Sporting list?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Good day,

Aside from cutting out and scanning the pages of a book such as Cartridges Of The World, can anyone suggest a source for a list of the "classic" British Sporting Rifle Cartridges, and also "Obsolete American Rifle Cartridges" to use as a checklist for collecting/identifying?

I would do much better organizationally if I had a list in digital rather than paper format.

A list of cartridges would not be too bothersome to create, but the dimensions and individual cartridge summaries would get to be quite a chore.

many thanks

DJ

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Curtis Steinhauer, at www.cartridge-corner.com has a headstamp and measurement guide on CDROM, I don't if that would be suitable for you though. It contains a searchable headstamp section, and then has a centerfire ammunition measurement section as well. Each round is named and then you get dimensions on it, all in a table form, but this is a lot more than just British or obsolete rounds, its a massive list broken down into 11 sections based on caliber.
If you want more information on British sporting cartridges then a copy of Fleming's "British Sporting Cartridges" from Armory Publications might be good to you, if you can find a copy. I know in the past I saw the tables from COTW posted on the net, but I cannot find them. Maybe someone else knows where some tables are listed on the web.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
If you are digitally inclined , I would recomend making your own electronic list , using the calibres listed by Hoyem in Volume Three of History and Development of Small Arms Ammunition , or Fleming in British Sporting Rifle Cartridges. Both of these books are vastly better than COTW, and being specific to British Sporting cartridges offer much more information than any other publication I know of .
Just my thoughts , for what they are worth. Good luck. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
<BMG>
posted
http://freespace.virgin.net/kynoch.ammunition/cartridge%20range.htm

It's a pretty complete list of the British stuff.

BMG