Here is another identification query -
a rimfire of the following dimensions ;

Rim .642"
Head .555
C/M .555
Blt .553
C/L .975
OAL 1.70

This cartridge doesnt conform to any of the specs listed in Appendix A of Barbers Rimfire Cartridge book - closest I have on specimen comparison is a .52 Hall (?) .

On page 98 of Barber is shown a .56 Straight Tapered Case which on side by side comparison may be the same cartridge.

Anyone have any ideas ?
07 October 2003, 17:51
RichieRich
Hello,

Looking at my specimens, it sounds like you have a 56 Spencer cartridge. These are getting to be quite scarce in this part of the world.

Cheers
08 October 2003, 12:24
muzza
Thanks for that Richierich - unfortunately you dont get the prize today . This cartridge is not even close to a Spencer in size , more like a 54 Starr Carbine or the 52 Hall - but it is neither of those . I think I will consign it to the currently unknown section , although my identification previous my well be correct . [Frown]
08 October 2003, 12:26
muzza
Thanks for that Richierich - unfortunately you dont get the prize today . This cartridge is not even close to a Spencer in size , more like a 54 Starr Carbine or the 52 Hall - but it is neither of those . Caselength alone rules out the Spencer theory . I think I will consign it to the currently unknown section , although my identification previous may well be correct . [Frown]
08 October 2003, 12:28
muzza
Damn , hate it when you double post - although the second one has an amendment to it..... [Wink]