New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 7.8 Drilling
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My 16x16x7.8 drilling has me baffled as to the actual caliber. Somewhere between .311 and .318?
Anyone able to tell me what 7.8 relates to?
Thanks
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Possibly 8x57JR....which is .318 bore.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Frank - can you determine the case length , and type - like , is it a bottlenecked case?

Brad Dixon lists several 7.8 calibre rimmed case-types in his book "European Sporting Cartridges" , and a bit more information might narrow it down a little.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4455 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that lead. I will need to do a chamber cast to be sure.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take it the 7.8 is mm's? If so, 7.8mm = .30708".

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Craigster. I had to check since I got confused after reading this.
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=117178

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
German proofs of the period called for marking the _bore_ diameter, not the _groove_ diameter of the barrel to the nearest tenth of a mm. A rifle barrel marked 7,8mm will typically be a "J" bore (.318" diameter) 8mm of some sort, but the actual cartridge identification will require a chamber cast and the groove diameter is most likely to be close to .320" in my experience.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote