New
Find
Notify
Tools

help with info on 375 Nitro 2.5"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any information on the 375 Nitro 2.5"?

The rifle it is chambered for is a pre war Mauser 98. It has the following stamps on the barrel and receiver:

375 Nitro, 280gr, NC 38gr
9.5mm (375) x 2.5"
9.5mm x 63mm
British Proof marks
Not English made
Specially made for Chas. A. Heyer & Co. Nairobi
Waffenfaerik - Oberndorf
A/ n. (the n. is underneath the A and in small font)

The previous owner has once fired brass headstamped "Norma RE special" The once fired brass measures aprox.:

rim .468"
rim thickness .046-.050"
base dia. .468"
dist. from base to top of shoulder 2.011"
case length 2.485"

He also had some reload formed from 280 Rem. brass.

I have not been able to find any reference to this cartridge. Any information would be appreciated.

Posts: 153 | Location: Lolo, MT | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I suspect you have a special order proprietory calibre rifle .Or , an early wildcat in other terms . Your case measurements dont conform to any standardised British or European factory calibres , hence my suggetsion on a proprietory cartridge .

You are certain on the stamped measurement being 9.5mm , and not possibly 9.3?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's good to speak with a kiwi, you have a beautiful country. Hopefully I will be able to visit a second time and help rid you of some of that pesky red stag population!

Yeah, it's definately a 9.5mm. It's stamped on the rife twice as well as the cartidge case. If it was a propriety cartridge, would it be listed in a catalogue somewhere?

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Intrigueing situation - the 375 x 2.5" cartridge is a Flanged ( or rimmed in modern lingo )cartridge, and none of my referances note a 9.5 x 63mm cartridge in any variation for a European maker of ammo .The rest of the 375 cal cartridges have too long or too short case lengths .

I stand to be corrected , and no doubt someone will , but I will hold with the proprietory calibre as an answer still .

We have no red stag problem - find a stag , sight up on it , ease back on the trigger ,bang , dead stag - no problems . Easy... Big Grin

Wish Elvis a Happy Birthday from me.

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only reference I have to obsolete cartridges is Frank Barnes' book. In it, under 9x63, he mentions that there was a family of cartridges based on the 9x63 intruduced in Austria or Germany after 1905. He then states that information is difficult to find on these cartridges. He does not give any diminsions on the 9x63, other than the obvious. Do you think that the 9.5x63 is part of this "family of cartridges"? Since the rifle was made in Germany, I would be inclined to think the cartridge was designed there also.

Elvis...Elvis who?

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
We have a selection of 9.3 x 63mm cartridges listed in the pre-1930's era for European calibres but nothing in the 9.5 x 63 case length ( European Sporting Cartridges , Dixon , p.121 and 151 ).

Without wishing to be rude , COTW is about the worst referance book for identifying anything other than very common cartridges . I threw my old copy out just the other day because it was never used and I couldnt bring myself to inflict it on some other collector.

No reason why a German arms manufacturer wouldnt have chambered his own cartridge for a customer, the 9.5 x 63 could well be a devlopment of the 9.3 family .

If you want I can scan the information I have and send it to you , several pages on the 9.3 which isnt very relevant to yours.

quote:
Elvis...Elvis who?

Elvis Costello...? Or maybe that other , dead guy.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be great!

I have several good books on rifles, but COTW is the only one I've ever bought for cartridges. What books would you recommend?

Thanks for all the help.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
There isnt one book that covers the whole range - as COTW tries to do - so you kinda need to identify what type of cartridges you are interested in , then pop on down to your local gunshow and see whats on offer , or elselook on Gunbroker or AuctionArms etc for specific books . Anything by Armory Publications is good ; there is a 4 vol set by Datig called Cartridges for Collectors ; some of the earlier ones by White and Munhall are good , any of the History of Modern US Military Small Arms Ammo by Hackley , Woodin and Scranton are good for US military, the list goes on , but be aware that none of these are cheap books to buy . You will never have every cartridge made , but you will be able to identify most of em if you have a good library.. Wink