New
Find
Notify
Tools

shipping an ammo
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone,

Could someone help Me? I live in Hungary in Europe. I bought a totally inert 577 T.Rex cartridge, but I need someone to post it to Me, because the owner do not want to post outside of the US! I do not know why!

If anyone could help, please write!

Many thanks,

Zoltan

Posts: 2 | Location: Hungary | Registered: 20 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world of international cartridge trading!

What you must do is find an agent in the USA to act as receiving agent and forwarder of inert material for situations just like this .Do not even think of posting live catridges internationally , it isnt worth the risk.

Something that we "overseas" collectors need to consider is that inert cartridges may well become more important as controls on movements of live ammo become stricter.

There is some information on shipping cartridges in another posting further down this forum. Good luck!

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toth Zoltan, there may be some special considerations because the 577 Ty is greater than .500 inch, and therefore might be considered a destructive device to those who do not know it fits into an exception in the US arms regulations.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Toth

What you should do if you are not picky, ask the guy to remove the bullet and empty the powder + remove the primer and then sent just the bullet and brasscase to you. This would be legal. You can then load it with a new primer and even add a good dose of powder before you seat the bullet again if you like.

It will not be as new but if the value to you is only to have it in your collection it should not matter... right?

Posts: 240 | Location: Finland | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
In Toths case the seller of the cartridge wont send it through the post , despite it being an unprimed case with seated projectile . Been caught there myself . Certainly breaking the cartridge down to individual components is the only safe thing to do , but you still fail if the guy selling the item wont post the package of pieces .
Finding a benevelant agent to ship the cartridge on for you is the only way in situationa like this . Maybe one of the guys on this board can help here?

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
Toth, I would be perfectly happy to send you any inert sporting rounds which you have forwarded to me Stateside. I do this for several customers / friends internationally - including Mr. muzza. If you wish to contact me at this email address: tcg25@hotmail.com we can discuss the mechanics. Be aware that international postal rates are not cheap - something like $15 for the first 400 grams or so including insurance - so it is best to include as much material as possible up to that weight.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote