Find
Notify
Tools

Viet Nam Era Sniper Calibre?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
Anyone aware of an 11.63 x 33mm belted cartridge supposedly used as a sniper round in Viet Nam ?
There is one listed on ebarf at present and I cant find any reference to it in my library , so wonder if it is genuine or someones loading bench experiment?

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That would be the 458X1.5Inch Barnes. Check Cartridges of the World, Barnes created it and it was used for a brief spell, but did not find favour. At least the seller gives the impression it is a 'recreation' I don't have a copy of COTW handy, but if I remember correctly Barnes said all the original surplus rounds were destroyed.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thanks , that what I figured it was but with a metric designation I thought asking was a better idea first .

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
11.63x33 would be a .458x1.3,the .458x1 1/5 would be 11.63x38.

Is this confusion a Typo or is it a different cartridge?

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anthony Williams states that the U.S. Military verson of the .458b1 1/2 Barnes was 33.3MM long instead of 1.5".

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/silcart.html

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Cool , gone from no information at all to having a variation as well. Thanks guys .