Find
Notify
Tools

Strange ctg. Anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted
I picked up a box of about 75 ctgs out of a a large estate of firearms and ammo. I paid 2 bucks for the lot which contained a handful of ctgs I needed for the collection(including a 11x60r Jap Murata!!!!!!). Anyway there was one in the bunch at first glance I thought was just the old boy playing around, but after I got home I started looking at it I had a change of heart. The crimp and lack of headstamp, is what changed my mind. It seems to be based on a 44 case. My only thouhgt is that it is some kind of firing device ofr ??? maybe a artillary training rounds or ??? Anyway I thought I would post a pic and see what you all thought.

Thanks in advance,
JAG

-

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JAG

This looks like a cartridge for a Stud-Gun: the 'nail' and bolt are shot into concrete (or maybe even a steel beam) and then the bolt is used for fastening.

the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Dont I feel stupid!!!! LOL.. Well so much for finding that "rare" and "unusual" ctg!!

*Off to search for more UFOs(Un-identified-Firing-Object)*

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Mate - dont feel silly over this . Industrials are a whole seperate collecting field , and the array is seemingly endless . Look upon this find as the start of a new section in your collection . You didnt have one before -now you do so it is definately a new addition. [Wink]

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
Before I began selling off my commercial ammo a few years back, I had one of these in my collection. It is indeed a tool cartridge, for driving the stud into concrete, leaving a threaded shank for some purpose. Mine was based on a .45 Long Colt and I suspect yours is also.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote