New
Find
Notify
Tools

267 Remington rimfire
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Back in the late 1060s I bought a single rimfire cartridge headstamped 267. The casing is nickle plated and the bullet lead (not jacketed). I was told that it was an experimential cartridge that Remington was working on. It never came out on the market. Anyone have any info on this? Wish I had bought the whole box.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Per Barber, there are at least 3 different 267RF head stamps, P over 267 (Peters), 2 "U around 6" 7 and "267 inside U" (both of these are Rem cases).

I don't know if it was only a experimental, or if it simply died a early death due to the start of WW-2.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The one that I have has the 267 inside of the letter U. Wish I could find out more about it and what it is worth.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried posting your history and value questions over on the forums at www.cartridgecollecters.org ?

As the value can depend on the headstamp, include that information also.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No I haven't , But I will check it out. Thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just tried the link you suggested it failed. Are you sure that it is www.cartridgecollectors,org? I have tried .com and nothing works. Please advise.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://cartridgecollectors.org/

Sorry about that. That's what I get for depending on my memory.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tailgunner. I got it now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the BATF list of Curio and Relic cartridges it is listed as a government experimental cartridge by Remington.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
W C Thanks for the info. Does it give any other information about when this took place, and so on?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the C&R list provides no information other than calling it a government experimental cartridge.
\
Most of what I have read about the .267 R.F. has been a paragraph here and there,nothing comprehensive.

Most of the articles state that the project was dropped after WW2.

I have heard of steel cased full metat jacketed ammo being loaded but have never been able to verify it.

Can't understand why the government would be interested in such a cartridge unless it was for a proposed survival rifle or similar application.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would agree. What else could they have been thinking of. From what I was told it was going to be the Remington marketing answer to the Winchester RF 22 Mag.However that was what I was told. At this point who knows?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found an online index for the International Ammunition Association Journal,they list an article on steel cased .267 Rimfire in issue no. 271 pg.22 and an article on the .267 Rem. Rimfire in issue no. 287 pg.12.

WC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks W C. You must be a cartridge collector. Do you collect widlcats? If so do you have a 30 HART Magnum (300 Weatherby Mag. Hart Improved)?
This is a round that I use. If you need one for your collection I can send you one. I use this round/rifle for long-range work. Longest kill for me with this round is a laser measured 1,129 yards. The load that I shoot for ground hogs is 178-grain Hornady A-Max bullet over 82-grains of H4831SC. It gives a muzzel velocity of 3355 FPS. Let me know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sendaro

Back issues of the IAA JOURNAL that WC referred to are not available. They MAY be made available to members (I'm one)in the near future but can't be sure when.

I'm far from an expert on the 267 Remington rim-fire but I don't think there's anything mysterious about it. It was a cartridge that Remington developed for the rim-fire market, that failed to sell. I'll ask a question on the IAA Forum and get back to you with whatever I find out.

In the meantime, e-mail me about trading some cartridges that you are looking for.

joyray@frontiernet.net

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sendaro

Here's a brief background from a collecor who knows.

". . . the .267 is based on the .25 Stevens case and, was being experimented with just prior to WW2. The war ended further development. There are at least 28 to 30 variations of the .267 ranging from dummies,proof loadings to loaded rounds. The steel were experimental and are very scarce. No fmj rounds were made as far as I know. . ."

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fo the offer of the 30 Hart,I'll send you a PM.

Curtis Steinhauer gives dimensions of .350 rim dia.,.290 base and neck dia. for the 267 Rem.rf.,My .25 Stevens cartridges measure .334 rim dia.,.277 base and neck dia.Is there any way you can mic your case and confirm which measurements are correct?

one of us
posted Hide Post
crazy

You're right that the rim of the 25 Stevens only runs around .335" but my friend only said that the Remington was BASED on the Stevens. Since the Stevens was a low powered copper cased cartridge the R&D guys at Remington probably opted for a stronger thicker case for the 276.

Ray

Arizona Mountains