New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridge collectors I need help!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I thought this would be a good place to start... I wanted a list of all of the rifle cartridges that came out commercially after 1950... They may even be already obsolete but appeared commercially after 1950. If you could make a list with the year next each cartridge in decending order (I am dumb and have a hard time following anything) that would be a big help. American and European. I hope someone can help.
Thank you my friends.

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy F*** that's a tall order. I think someone may be able to give you directions of where to find the info and compile it yourself.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ha!!!! I am sory... I realy dont know how tall of an order it is... I wanted more or less like common rifle cartridges like say the 280 Rem... in 1957 and the such. What I am trying to understand is how many cartridges that became commercial... then flopped since say 1950 or 1960.
mmmm might be a bigger pain then I thought.

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the topic heading.... Wink

You should be able to find most of this info from ammo producer websites. I am sure that the likes of Winchester and Remington have records that are searchable on-line.

My guess is that you will have to do most of this yourself , I cant see anyone else putting in the time and effort this will take , for someone else...just my take on human nature . Prove me wrong by all means ......

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can give you a few hints on US cartridges, and 1 bit of assistance.
Hints:
All Weatherby cartridges, 308Win and all variants, 223Rem and all varients, most -06 varients (except the origional and the 270Win), most belted cartridges, and most "legalized" wildcats will be on your list.

Assistance, PM a mailing address, and I'll send you copy of a factory balistics chart from a 1944 Gun Digest, that you can compare to the newer ones (Gun Digest can be your friend)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The best way I found to get that information was to get the book Cartridges Of The World.

posted Hide Post
In spite of the cynicism expressed, some one DID compile a list (sort of) and it wasn't me. Try this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_pistol_and_rifle_cartridges_by_year

mjg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cute chart, but how could someone make a chart that short, and still have such obvious errors in it? The 30-03 is a short version of the 30-06, that came out between 1907 and 1908???????
The 454Casull as came out in 1954 AND 1957???? How about the 45-110 that came out between 2003 and 2004???

Remind me to trust all "wikpedia" facts.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
With no offense meant to Mr. Buhler, CotW is a good basic reference with many factual errors which have been carried forward from the very first printing and augmented over the years - much like the bugs found in Micro$oft operating systems. Most of these are in the details about dates of introduction, first firearms chambering, that sort of thing. It's value lies in its ability to provide a survey of the most common loadings allowing one to identify these.

Nor to mjg, but to echo Tailgunner, that wikipedia list is absolutely freaking horrible - as many inaccuracies as any speech by either of the clintons.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote